proyectos.macg on 8 Aug 2000 22:02:11 -0000

[Nettime-bold] WWJS What Would Jesus Said [askjesus meets Simon Hadlersinterview to Matthew Mirapaul

WWJS What Would Jesus Said
[www.askjesus.org answers to Simon Hadler’s interview to Matthew Mirapaul]

Simon Hadler: Which song describes your mood concerning the termination of arts@large?

Ask Jesus: Thought we were having a good time, thought we were having a good time, you smiled, I laughed, I thought it was all fine, thought we were having a good time...
Once upon a time, this page was one of the primary mood disorder resources of the Net. For various reasons, things have changed now: I'm not a ...
This document does not attempt to be a final word on anything. It has always been in a state of flux, and I expect it will continue to be so for a while to come.

SH: Why was arts@large terminated, anyway? I had the feeling that it was
very successful.

AJ: Oh, yeah, yeah I'm not feeling you. No matter what you do No matter what you say I'm leaving anyway You know how I'm living Playa's never been my style.This time you're not forgiven so Don't try to change my mind I know you want me And I know you want me bad I know you're thinking' of me It's my turn not to care And that's why I'm...
Working with oil is my favorite mode of expression. I take myself into a feeling of expansion and at the right point of the painting, I use sand paper and cutting tools to bring out the impression I want to create.

SH: How come that a computer industry executive turned to writing about
art? And what was the idea behind starting arts@large?

AJ: `Millionaire` mania to morph into marriage Proving that there are no limits to game show one-upmanship in the Who Wants to Bea Millionaire era, Fox is developing a two-hour live special with the working title

SH: January 1996 must have been a thrilling time to start to write about
art on the web. Everything had just began. Where you "hit by the hype"?

AJ: We brake for robots! Forget about whatever you were searching for. It's not important. You may not be aware of it consciously, but you really want to read Word instead. So go on -- click here. You'll be glad you did! Really!

SH: In your column, you often wrote about institutions dealing with
net.art. Whether it was Peter Weibel's Net_Condition, the Ars
Electronica festival or the Whitney Biennial. Many artists in the field--
or at least those with the louder voices on nettime & co.--are firmly
opposed to that development. Is it that bad that net.art is heading towards the museums?

AJ: Dear, I´d like know some opinions on general role of museal collections and museums as institutions in preserving of biodiversity. The special museal attributes are, for me: - heading position in management of biodiversity data, in collaboration with universities; research, conservational and other institutions - special standing in taxonomy research like place traditionally oriented to...

SH: Another development the hard liners of net.art oppose is the very
slowly beginning commercialization of the genre. But is there any money in it after all?

AJ: ...., ....... ...... .... ........ ........... .... ........... ........ .... ...... .... .... .. ......... .. ...

SH: Concerning the jury of this year's prix Ars Electronica, net.art is
deader than dead. Many others think so, too. Can it be, that the artists of the genre have run out of new, astonishing ideas after only five or six years of its existence?

AJ: In 2399 Earth and six other Worlds joined together to form the Celestial Commonwealth Alliance. Two hundred years later the Alliance has grown, as has the need for its existence.

SH: net.art is a very heterogeneous field. What you once called
"conceptual pranks," ASCII Art, highly sophisticated "interactive" flash
movies, hypertext and so on... What do you think are the most interesting developments?

AJ: Dedicated to the think ing of interesting (and largely continental) philosophers.

SH: Are there developments you consider problematic?

AJ: The issues that we consider to be social problems have changed over time and place. What is considered problematic today may not have been considered problematic yesterday.

SH: Do you have something like "my favorite net.art.work"?

AJ: Absolut DJ is an experience in creating visual music.  Mix and create your own DJ compositions with the Absolut DJ modules, which are a compilation of DJs from all around the world.
Also, a collection of love, romance and relationships resources including advice, poetry, quotes, dedications, chat, horoscopes, romantic ideas, message boards, free love postcards and much more!!

SH: At the end of each year, you have made predictions about the
upcoming year. Now that your column won't go on after--nearly--five
interesting years, what are your predictions for the next five years?

AJ: That's Racin'...

masa adherida: http://www.macg.org.mx/
this interview: http://www.macg.org.mx/wwjs_mirapaul.htm
our last project [esex]: http://www.macg.org.mx/enred/esex.html