Phil Graham on Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:45:38 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Fwd: [media-culture] Biting the hand that feeds IT

Perhaps, using the same logic, the OED can begin demanding royalties for
the general use of conjunctives and [tm] disjunctives.

This has to be a joke, surely.

Phil

>To: media-culture@egroups.com
>From: Hugh Martin <h.martin@latrobe.edu.au>
>media-culture-owner@egroups.com
>Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:17:01 +1000
>Subject: [media-culture] Biting the hand that feeds IT
>
>An interesting gambit. Is it a hoax?
>
>Hugh
>-----------------------------
>Biting the hand that feeds IT: British Telecom claims ownership of hyperlinks
>
>By Tim Richardson
>
>"British Telecommunications (BT) claims it owns the patent to hyperlinks
>and wants ISPs in the US to cough up hard cash for the privilege of
>using them.
>
>The monster telco believes a patent filed in 1976--and granted in 1989--
>proves it owns the intellectual property rights to those natty little
>devices that link Web content together.
>
>The patent was lodged following work on text-based online information
>systems Viewdata and Prestel by the General Post Office (GPO) before it
>was split into the Post Office and BT.
>
>BT believes it has a good case and has employed intellectual property
>experts, Scipher PLC, to fight its corner.
>
>Dr Ken Gray, chairman of Scipher, told AFX: "On behalf of BT we are
>attempting to licence (hyperlink technology), and inviting licences to
>be taken out by ISPs in the States."
>
>A spokesman for BT said: "We patented the principle of the hyperlink in
>the mid-70s when people were still wearing kipper ties and flares ..."
>
>See the whole article at The Register
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/11450.html

Opinions expressed in this email are my own unless otherwise stated.
Phil Graham
Lecturer (Communication)
Graduate School of Management
University of Queensland