cisler on Mon, 12 Jun 2000 04:00:18 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> The Ideology of Immateriality

Some years ago gilder had a big argument with tom Peters about the importance of
cities. As you can imagine, all Gilder cared about was being near an airport to
get to speaking engagements, and he thought the net would be the medium in which
culture would flourish.  Peters said you need great cities for great art and
culture. I'm sure Castells would agree too.

I hope you read the profile of gilder in the recent New Yorker.  I read it on
the way to Amsterdam.  I had an encounter with him back in 1994 when another guy
and I at Apple were making a video that was a synthesis of what we called
'visionware': videos by corps, govt. agencies, andsometimes by universities
about the grand vision of the broadband networks (some were not the Internet).
Gilder really did not understand as much as he pretended. We were kind of
amazed.  It shows that compelling writers can be seen as experts, partly because
experts may not be able to express themselves so that others can understand.