Ronda Hauben on Tue, 6 Jun 2000 20:52:59 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] need for government support for fundamental research

A comment to Dave Farber's IP List:

Dave

>I want to give a strong second to Chucks comments djf

good to see Chuck Brownstein's comments on your list.

>>Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 11:40:07 -0400
>>To: farber@cis.upenn.edu
>>From: Charles Brownstein <cbrownst@cnri.reston.va.us>
>>>
>>Dave,
>>I have glanced through the report and found it generally quite good.
>>
>>A truly astounding bit of blindness to the obvious however, is in the
>>sections on R&D and on "Why here and now".
>>>
>>Is the Dept of Commerce the LAST bastion of ignorance about the government
>>investments in fundamental and applied research - as opposed to
>>"development" (the bulk of industry's R&D spending), with its available
>>knowledge and human resource creation?
>>
>>Today the US has the benefit of 30 years of such investment as a
>>foundation for damn near everything critical in this sector,  people and
>>technologies alike. I suppose it will take economists, the way they lag
>>reality, a long time to document this very fragile advantage.

The paper I have been working on documents how there was an understanding
in the US and in the US Congress as well about the importance of basic
research and what happened to that understanding.

Probably there is a need to review the history of ARPA and
the Information Processing Techniques Office (IPTO) at ARPA
to have the lesson sink in of where the important ICT developments of
our present time have come from.

I have begun doing that in the 5 parts thus far of the draft paper I am
working on.

It does seem this is needed research for the US government to
be able to understand the current ICT achievements.

     Computer Science and the Role of Government in Creating the
                 Internet: ARPA/IPTO (1962-1986)
                  Creating the Needed Interface
                              by Ronda Hauben
                              rh120@columbia.edu

part I  http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/other/arpa_ipto.txt
part II  http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/other/basicresearch.txt
part III  http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/other/centers-excellence.txt
part IV  http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/other/computer-communications.txt
part V   http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/other/birth_internet.txt

I welcome comments on this research and a chance to discuss it
and its implications with all who are interested.

Ronda

ronda@panix.com
ronda@ais.org