anemoon elzinga on Mon, 29 May 2000 13:02:47 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] e-culture fair

Call for potential presenters

E-culture fair

Amsterdam, RAI
12-13 November 2000

organised by the Virtual Platform

Why an E-culture fair?
The E-culture fair will be a showcase of work in progress in electronic
culture. Fifty stands will be filled by innovative projects that redefine
and challenge accepted applications of new media. This event, to be held in
Amsterdam, is organised by the Dutch Virtual Platform, a network of
cultural organisations working in the new media field: Montevideo, Society
for Old and New Media, V2-organisation, de Balie, STEIM, Netherlands Design
Institute, Doors of Perception, Exploding Cinema, Paradiso (see
www.dds.nl/~virtplat).

What form will it take?
Fifty stands will be set up in five zones in the RAI building. As well as
stands, there will be space for special demonstrations, a few larger pieces
of work, and screenings. Guided tours are planned for invited guests from
various interest groups, and a programme of expert meetings will be
organised in an adjoining space. Evening events are also planned.

What kind of projects will be showcased?
The fair will present projects rather than organisations. We are looking
for new projects, preferably work-in-progress. The emphasis is on
innovation: research and development, new forms of software, creative
applications for specific target groups. Another key factor is co-operation
with project partners, either nationally or internationally, in particular
with other cultural disciplines and with other sectors - education, social
affairs, with commercial partners, with scientific institutions. One of the
principle aims of the fair is to enable and encourage co-operation.

Projects will be placed in one of the four different zones, according to
roughly these themes (these are working titles only):
*connecting communities
*touching/beyond the screen
*learning
*fun and gaming

Who will visit the fair?
Visitors will include new media researchers, developers, designers,
artists, students, policy makers and professionals from the world of
education, science, culture, economic development, journalists.
A general audience of interested individuals will join about 1,000
attendees of the Doors of Perception conference. We expect at least 5000
visitors over the two days.

When and where?
The fair opens on 12 November at 1pm. It takes place over two days, from
1pm to 6 pm. On 11 November the fair will be constructed, involving the
building of the stands and setting up of equipment. The fair will be
dismantled on 13 November at 6 pm. The fair's location is the RAI
international exhibition and congress centre, Europaplein, Amsterdam
(www.rai.nl).

Why come to the Netherlands in November?
Apart from the chance to present your project to a high-quality audience,
network with your peers, and benefit from media coverage, two key events
are taking place on or around the same time as the E-culture fair:

Doors of Perception, the renowned international conference. See
www.doorsofperception.com. This year, Doors of Perception 6 has the theme
'lightness'. 11-13 November, the RAI, Amsterdam.
Each stand at the fair will be given as part of the package, one free
ticket to Doors of Perception (street value: NLG 1000)!

DEAF, Dutch Electronic Arts Festival, Rotterdam, 14-26 November, theme:
'machine times'. See www.v2.nl/deaf.

What we offer
We will provide each project with a stand, similar to those found at any
trade fair, consisting of a space 3m x 3m with desk and chairs, light,
access to electricity and other connections where necessary. Depending on
the nature of the project, we will provide some stands with a computer
and/or monitor. We expect that many projects will bring their own laptop.
We also provide a standard information poster for each stand, for which the
content will be developed by the Virtual Platform and the project
presenters in co-operation.

We will cover the travel costs (economy class train, plane or car miles)
for up to two people from each project, depending on each individual
project, kind of travel required etc. We also provide accommodation for
three nights in the form of modest hotel room (with breakfast - single or
two people sharing twin room as required). We also offer lunch on 12 and 13
November, and a daily sum of 75 NLG to cover dinner and local transport.

Each stand will receive a free ticket to Doors of Perception, which takes
place in the same building in the morning (value NLG 1000).

A limited budget is available for the transportation of bulky equipment for
project presentations. This can be discussed on an individual basis.

While all possible security measures will be taken to protect your
valuables during the exhibition (including the hire of security guards),
the Virtual Platform does not accept responsibility for damage or theft.
You are advised to exercise special care, particularly during the
dismantling of the fair.

Publicity
In order to draw a large audience, we'll give a lot of publicity to the
fair. Our website (under construction) will carry all the details,  posters
will be distributed, press coverage sought. A webcast of the fair is also
planned.

What you need to do now
To be considered for a stand, you should send the following information,
before 20 June:

1. What is the project? (max. 100 words)
2. Who is involved? (organisations, individuals)
3. What exactly would you show at the fair? (computer presentations, objects?)
4. What equipment would you need and would you bring it yourself?
5. Your URL
6. Contact person
7. Email address, postal address, telephone, fax.
Send us this information on the attached form or send an email to
Info@virtueelplatform.nl . We would be grateful if you could confirm as
early as possible whether you will be able to attend.

In November
All project presenters will be required to be in Amsterdam from 11-13
November. You will be required to set up and dismantle the content of your
stand in collaboration with the fair organisers. It is essential that at
least one person is present at the stand during the opening hours of the
fair, and that this person is qualified to explain the project to visitors.

Who selects the projects?
A commission of the Virtual Platform will select projects.

 Questions?
The secretariat of the Virtual Platform is responsible for the content and
the preparation of the fair. If you have any questions about participating,
please contact us at this address:

Virtual Platform
Cathy Brickwood (content)
or Anemoon Elzinga (practicalities)