Heiko Recktenwald on Thu, 20 Apr 2000 18:10:20 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> NameSpace (get.xs2.net) banned from mail delivery

Thanks for posting this. Yes, the war is over, its another net, as far as
email is concerned.

> Postmasters are helpless and keep their mouth. But the battle is more or
> less over.

What sux most is (IMHO) that governements on one hand dont really care
about spammers, the "space of ecommerce" as some people call it, "laisser
faire" politics, and on the other hand, that all problems with the net are
"solved" with network technic. Its war technic. Dont go there, let the
robots do it...

The "traveling artist problem" is solved by some "POP and SMTP" hack, you
can do POP, with authentification, and then SMTP is open for your IP, for
some time. And there is SMTP with authentification in the making.....

But the social problem, problem of "net politics", how policies are made,
stays. There is a certain image of an "ISP" behind it, looks a little bit
like the pictures of the american coutryside, Norman Rockwell icons.
Its a little bit arrogant to say: get another ISP, or get an AOL or
Compuserve account, you are free to do it. Maybe yahoo mail is the answer,
unbundling of services, your IP from this guy, your mailservers there etc.
Its already the cheapest. But you have to be very clever or to accept
adds. I was lucky, I could phone somebody, who gave me SMTP, when I was
abroad, most people dont know anybody, they even dont understand the
problem. Those were the days...

And yes, there is already a RFC about this, take this as a C.

H.