David Mandl on Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:12:53 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> twilight of the crypto-geeks

Zimmermann was never really a Libertarian.  He was much more of a
Liberal.  (In fact, if I recall correctly, his background was
mainstream-leftish: environmental causes, anti-nuke, etc.)  No way was
he ever in the same category as people like Tim May, much less the
more lunatic fringe of the Cypherpunks.  I'd say he was mostly bemused
by the more extreme manifestoes and positions that came out of the
C'punks.  "Staunchly against laws, rules, regulations"?  I don't think
so.  He was just a well-meaning guy who wanted people to have the
ability to protect their privacy.

   --Dave.

> Twilight of the crypto-geeks
>
> By Ellen Ullman