Joshua Goldberg on Fri, 14 Apr 2000 05:52:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> pacifism in video games

How misguided.

Civil disobedience and pacifist action only works in the context of making
the violent and repressive forces ashamed of their own actions.  By sitting
and meditating in UT fragspaces, all you do is provide easy targets and ways
to increase their ngStats.

Even if it was for more of an artistic reason than a social one, it's still
hollow.  Who's going to know it's art?  Who's going to care?

Now, if you managed to get together a group of say 100 or so people playing
UT who all signed on to public servers at the same time, with coordinated
skins and actions, you could do something that people would notice.  They
might not even blow you away.

They might even play along.

I think that THAT'S a good idea.  People interested in doing this- for art
and NOT to Stop The Violence- should drop me a line.

jmg

--
Josh Goldberg
josh@goldbergs.com