Michael Thomas on Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:28:20 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] techno-sublime

I finished an MA in "Arts Criticism" last year in London and worked
in my dissertation on a term I borrowed from Hal Foster's "The Return
of the Real" he called "techno-sublime".

For people interested in the topic I posted a PDF document at
http://www.bureau-k.de/supertouch/techno_sublime/

I welcome any critics or further useful information as I intend to
extend the work in the future time.

---
A summary of the thesis goes like this:

In the last chapter of The Return of the Real (1996) the American
critic Hal Foster addresses the contemporary anxieties towards new
technologies and media in the western, highly industrialised consumer
societies.
Applying Benjamin's 'surgically penetration' of the spectator's body
and McLuhan's 'electrically extension' of the human, Foster
characterises the situation of the individual s     ubject as a new
intensity of dis/connection.
Confused, terrified, and yet fascinated, we have - despite a spatial
and often emotional remoteness - become wired to the technoscope of
media spectacles by television and so-called new communication
technologies: For Foster, this dis/connection has reached a new level
of pain-and-pleasure and presents for the author 'a partial return of
a fascistic subjecthood'.
In the following thesis I try to detach Foster's notion of a
technosublime from its pejorative framework. My aim is not to
reactivate the sublime as a nostalgic conception of modern
aesthetics, as the unrepresentable was here applied only to be put
forward as a 'missing content' (Lyotard).
Alongside Donna Harraway's Cyborg Manifesto (1985), N. Katherine
Hayles' reception of the posthuman subject (How We Became Posthuman,
1999), and Friedrich Kittler's idea of synergy between humans and
machines, I like to apply the notion of the technosublime as a kind
of white rabbit to enter, like Alice, the contemporary setting of a
technological Wonderland.
And yet, if the postmodern dis/connection, as Foster argues, either
produces indifference, cynicism, or reactive value judgments, we also
have to develop and acknowledge new forms and models of criticism,
which might no longer depend on a classical position of critical
distance but rather locate the research and work inside 'the belly of
the monster' (Haraway).
If this agenda, this form of practice, is still to be called art, is
irrelevant. A notion, which in the meantime might have become more
important, might be 'not-just-art' (I/O/D)
---

Michael Thomas
--

:: michael thomas