geert lovink on Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:00:48 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Terravista is changing

from: ls@co.terravista.pt (Luis Soares)
subject: Terravista is changing

[crossposted with permission, orig. to internal list of the european
cultural backbone/g]

Hi all of you

I know Portugal is far away somewhere in the west of Europe and I'm not the
best of people at keeping you all up to date on what's going on here, by the
ocean.

Anyway, life's been hectic and there have been a lot of changes. Terravista
Association is no more. We decided to sell the web hosting project that gave
the association its name, capitalizing on the investment craze in this area
that local telecoms have brought about. We were beginning to look like a
commercial company disguised as a non-profit organisation a little bit too
much for my taste, anyway.

So we changed and we are changing into Electronic Frontier. Don't be scared
by the American taste of the name, we are very much European and with an
European agenda, somewhat different from the californian EFF.

Basically we'll be working on three areas. The first one is the defence of
what we call the digital citizen, which is basically all of us in that side
where there's something digital in our lives, from being in a database to
using a cell phone, to being on the internet. The second one is access, and
we don't mean free internet access, that's being done, we mean free
computers, free training, free creative and critical understanding of the
new media for those who have not understood the change yet. The third thing
is supporting inovative non-profit (or at least in their non-commercial
conceptual stages) creative projects for new media.

As you may begin to understand, this will be more or less along the same
lines of the things we were already trying to do, without the burden of the
everyday management of this big web-hosting project, plus the financial
result of its sale.

Anyway, I am still Director of the new organisation but as we will open it
up to anyone who wants to become a member, we are planning to have an
elected management in about 6 months time. Until then we are trying to
create a more permanent work structure, so I will still be the contact for
this thing. On particular projects, I will be able to give you the name of
the person in charge.

Feel free to mail me if you didn't understand what's happening. It's
difficult to explain, it should be harder even to understand.

Cheers

Luis Soares
Associacao para a Fronteira Electronica
ls@fronteira-electronica.org