Domiziana Giordano on Sat, 4 Mar 2000 13:27:09 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] NOTHING WORSE

Hi Tom, Hi Bernhard,

Lack of technology work could be a pain for the artist but more painful is
Tom's sound of silence that I share.

To cut it short:

In the Seventies the typical iconography on the crises of identity of the
intellectual was the "successful one": desperate because s-he had reached
such a status, witch it meant being understood by a large number of people.
That cosy feeling of being part of the intellighentia had puffŠdisappeared!
Alas, farewell to the elite!

As much fashion and design looks back to those years, intellectuals seem to
follow the same trend. Back to the rigour and once again black circles
around the eyes and a never-ending dilemma: To pay the rent or not to pay
the rent? This is the problem.

"I want to be recognised. I want people to look at my work. My work is my
blood and I sweat blood. Do please check my work/soul, please. Too
difficult to understand?  Shall I implement a demo with it?  Who am I, a
salesman? Really, my work is not so difficult. You have no time for it?
Why, overwhelmed my informations?No problem: I'll replace content with mere
technology. Is this better? Lot of fun, uh? Yes I'm a successful artist and
people buy everything I give them. What you mean "It is me selling out my
work"? My gallerist does not think so. Neither do wellknown art curators.
They seemed very happy few days ago at my party at the HamptonsŠ"  Ah!Ah!

Here we go: supply for everybody's taste. Mark Stelhman's quotations are
only the highlights of an exquisite matter with long and deep roots in
literature and art, that deteriorates artists nervous systems and make
consumers happy.

On the other side Josephine Berry' "tart". She's right. More tears and
fears for everybody. "Should I stay or should I go" lullaby, please sing
along. Either you're in either you're out the chorus.

dg