Manetta Berends on Thu, 25 Oct 2018 18:00:12 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Workshop around ORES @ Impakt Festival this Sunday

.

Hey all,

We are giving a workshop around ORES, a machine learning service for Wikipedia, during the Impakt Festival this Sunday (28th of October) from 13:30h to 15:30h. You are all very welcome to join us!

The theme of this year's Impakt festival is post-truth, fake news and algorithmic superstructures. We will speak about the position of Wikipedia in the wake of the current media climate and fake news, where we find ourselves suddenly turning to Wikipedia as a reliable source of information. During the workshop we will dive into the mechanisms that support Wikipedia to be regarded as such, by looking at the machine learning service ORES that Wikipedia uses against vandalism.

We will discuss examples of how Wikipedia struggles with vandalism, look into the feminist inspirations of the ORES project, and do a writing exercise together to explore our understanding of the the 'good faith' and 'damaging' parameters that are used to prevent vandalism but not scare away new editors.

http://impakt.nl/festival/programme/workshops/trust-formation/

You can subscribe by writing to: trust@impakt.nl
(An Impakt ticket is not needed to participate in the workshop.)

Many greetings!

Cristina & Manetta