Paolo Gerbaudo on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 23:35:50 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Fwd: Politics of Big Data conference - King's College London - May 8th 2015

.

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce the "Politics of Big Data" Conference on May 8th 2015 at King's College London.

The conference aims at developing the scholarly and public debate about currentÂdata-driven power dynamics and possible democraticÂalternatives.

You can book your (free) ticket viaÂEventbrite http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/politics-of-big-data-tickets-15741681794

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POLITICS OF BIG DATA CONFERENCE - King's College London - MAY 8TH 2015

"Big Dataâ is a contested term describing the increasing pervasiveness of data generation, gathering and mining in our society. The unprecedented market success Facebook, Google, and related digital, media, and marketing corporations is predicated on Big Data. Furthermore, as demonstrated by the Snowden revelations on the NSA and GCHQ, Big Data also provides new means for mass surveillance. Yet, this is not the whole story. Data is a site of political struggle. Beyond its value to state and capital, Big Data affords myriad opportunities for new forms of creative and political engagement. Open data initiatives, information leaks, and data-driven cultural projects are but early steps toward more democratic uses of the data we generate in our everyday lives. This conference will explore the contested and multifaceted nature of the politics of Big Data, covering both critiques of existing data-driven power dynamics as well as possible alternatives.

Organisers: Mark Cotà and Paolo Gerbaudo

CONFIRMED SPEAKERS INCLUDE

Bernhard Rieder, Jennifer Gibson, Phoebe Moore, Jennifer Pybus, Stefania Milan, Btihaj Ajana, Dan Mercea, Nate Tcakz, Michael Dieter, Mercedes Bunz, Mark Cotà and Paolo Gerbaudo

PANELS

- Big Data and Digital Politics

- Big Data, the State and Surveillance

- The Politics of the Quantified Self

- Critical Engagements with Big Data

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DigitalCultureKings

Digital Culture & Society at King's College London | Facebook
Research and teaching in Digital Culture and Society at King's College London. MA Digital Culture...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/kingsdcs

Digital Culture @KCL (@KingsDCS) | Twitter
The latest Tweets from Digital Culture @KCL (@KingsDCS). #BA Digital Culture and #MA Digital Culture and Society at King's College London. Research on #socialmedia #hacking #surveillance #gaming #bigdata. London

--
Paolo Gerbaudo
Lecturer in Digital Culture and Society, King's College London