Image Science on Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:10:54 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> THE ARCHIVE OF DIGITAL ART (ADA) FEATURES TAMIKO THIEL

.
THE ARCHIVE OF DIGITAL ART (ADA) FEATURES TAMIKO THIEL

Check it out: www.digitalartarchive.at

Tamiko Thiel is internationally renowned for her impressive and
politically-engaged virtual and augmented reality installations.
She visualizes thoughts and concepts with digital means in a sensitive
way and combines it with real world places, objects and settings.
This approach allows her to provide a non-western perspective on
western
culture, to reminds us of historical events right in the places where
they
happened or shows us how our neighborhoods could look like in the
future.

MATTHEW WILSON SMITH
>Like her creation Mariko Horo,[...] Tamiko Thiel is a border-crosser
and an explorer of virtual space. [â] It recalls Thielâs work in
showing
how the concrete and the virtual, the bounded and the streaming, the
grid and the fold are now not only inseparable, but mutually
reinforcing<

OLIVER GRAU
>Art, that connects innovatively and playfully contemporary digital
culture
with social, societal and ecological issues, was developed by Tamiko
Thiel
in the last 20 years. Particularly  internationally renowned is her
Memorial Art, that impressively recalls the Berlin Wall or the
Californian
internment camps in an unprecedented way.<

CHRISTIANE PAUL
>Beyond Manzanar (2000)  [...] illustrates a chasm of cultural
identity,
contrasting a dream world of cultural heritage with a reality of
political
injustice.<

The Archive of Digital art provides the most extensive documentation on

Thiels Oeuvre containing works like >Shades of Absence: Outside
Inside<
(2011), which gave a voice to artists who have been threatened with
arrest
or physical violence by visualizing their  silhouettes and names with
AR
technology at Venice Biennale, or >Invisible Istanbul< (2011) using
smartphone
augmented reality to overlay virtual artworks onto physical spaces of
specific
sites in Istanbul, creating surrealistic and poetic juxtapositions
between real
and virtual within the context of the hidden urban dynamics of the
places.

Some of her most acclaimed works documented in ADA recall historical
incidents by the means of immersive 3-D Virtual Reality installations:

>Beyond Manzanar< (2000) recollects the suffering of Japanese Americans
in
 the internment camps during World War II and >ReConstructing the
Wall<
(2008) gives people, who did not experience the Berlin Wall, an idea of
the
political, sociological and territorial division in former East and
West Germany.

www.digitalartarchive.at

COLLABORTIVE ARCHIVING OF DIGITAL ART
The large assortment of information on Tamiko Thiel and hundreds
of other leading artists and their artworks were carried out by the
artists themselves with members of the ADA community.
The new ADA web tool allows members to archive artist statements,
works descriptions, literature, information on exhibitions, high
Resolution images, blueprints, videos etc.

SCHOLARS also contribute to the archive by uploading their
publications,
information on conferences, exhibitions and teaching.
Artists and scholars  work collaboratively  on the documentation and
analysis of digital art.

https://www.digitalartarchive.at/support/account-request.html

THE ARCHIVE OF DIGITAL ART â PIONEER IN THE FIELD
Since its foundation in 1999, the Archive of Digital Art (former
Database of Virtual Art) has become the most important scholarly
online
Archive for media art. In cooperation with established media
artists, researchers, and institutions, it has been documenting
the rapidly evolving world of digital art and its related fields
for more than a decade and contains today a selection of thousands
of artworks at the intersection of art, science, and technology.

ARTISTS represented, among many others: Rebecca ALLEN,
Suzanne  ANKER, Cory ARCANGEL, Roy ASCOTT, Louis BEC,
Maurice BENAYOUN, Paolo CIRIO, Charlotte DAVIES, FLEISCHMANN &
STRAUSS, Masaki FUJIHATA, Ken GOLDBERG
, Agnes HEGEDÃS, Lynn
HERSHMAN LEESON, Ryoji IKEDA, Eduardo KAC, Ken RINALDO,
KNOWBOTICRESEARCH, Lev MANOVICH, George LEGRADY, Golan LEVIN,
Rafael LOZANO-HEMMER, Joseph NECHVATAL, Michael NAIMARK, David
ROKEBY, Jeffrey SHAW, Julius v. BISMARCK, Paul SERMON, Karl SIMS,
SOMMERER & MIGNONNEAU, STANZA, Nicole STENGER, THOMSON &
CRAIGHEAD, Peter WEIBEL, et al.

Advisory board: Christiane PAUL, Roy ASCOTT, Erkki HUHTAMO, Gunalan
NADARAJAN, Martin ROTH, et.al.

ADA team:
Prof. Dr. habil. Oliver GRAU
Michaela SEISER (Editor, Community Admin)
Sebastian HALLER, Viola RÃHSE,
Wendy COONES, Ann-Christin RENN
(Editorial Team)
digitalart.editor@donau-uni.ac.at