Emma O'Hare on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 21:16:15 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> [event] DEAF2014 Biennale Rotterdam 21-24 May

.

DEAF2014 BIENNALE ROTTERDAM WEDNESDAY 21- SATURDAY 24 May

http://deaf.nl/

Dutch Electronic Art Festival (DEAF) serves as a public forum and meeting place for young creative talent as well as established professionals, scientists and business stakeholders whose work focuses on our contemporary technological culture.

THEME

The DEAF2014 biennale festival theme is The Progress Trap. Progress has become a means to an end in itself and has been decoupled from the cultural, ecological and social advances that it was supposed to help achieve. However seductive quick gains from technological solutions are, their temporary victories in the short term may cause much worse and bigger problems in the long run, luring us into The Progress Trap.

PROGRAMME

During this 10th edition of DEAF exhibitions, keynotes, seminars, workshops, evenings of …, films, performances and a satellite programme invite you to come and explore the theme “The Progress Trap”.

DEAF2014’s thematic exhibition addresses the unsustainable character of our current notion of progress by contrasting the lure of technology with artistic responses to our techno-centric notion of progress and attempts to escape the trap it results in.

DEAF2014 also offers keynotes from three special guests: Alexa Clay, Adam Greenfield and Ronald Wright, of whom the latter coined the term “progress trap” in his bestselling book A Short History of Progress.

The theme will be addressed in a rich program of seminars organized by Het Nieuwe Instituut. How can one prevent from becoming programmable? What is programmable behaviour? These questions will be explored during the Unprogrammable Behaviour seminar.

These are only a few of the many seminars, performances, artists, installations and artworks that DEAF2014 has on offer.

LOCATION AND PARTNERS

Main location and main partner of DEAF2014 is Het Nieuwe Instituut. DEAF and Het Nieuwe Instituut have entered this partnership in the conviction that together they can further increase and deepen the impact and meaning of DEAF: both have a critical outlook towards innovation, act on the basis of a cultural context and want to think and work beyond the boundaries of the classical creative disciplines.

V2_ Institute for the Unstable Media, an interdisciplinary centre for art and media technology, has been organizing DEAF since 1994. Since 2012 DEAF has become independent with V2_as a partner.

Emma O'Hare
Researcher / Editor
DEAF | Dutch Electronic Art Festival

T  +31 (0)6 - 50513457 I Office: +31 (0)10 206 7272
Eendrachtsstraat 10
3012 XL Rotterdam
@DEAFdotNL