Gediminas Urbonas on Thu, 27 Feb 2014 19:06:49 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> ACT: MIT Symposium on Public Space dedicated to Muntadas

.
Dear nettimers,

On behalf of the organizing committee at the MIT Program in Art, Culture and Technology,
I would like to give you a notice of the symposium and with a hope you would honor this event with your attendance:

- “Public Space? Lost & Found” on April 18-19, 2014 to honor the legacy of artist and educator Antoni Muntadas.

This symposium and corresponding exhibition will investigate the manifold definitions of public space across disciplines and the tools, tactics and consequences of reclaiming public space through art and architecture. We will use the concept of ‘spatial cultural identity’ to address and negotiate the complexities of ideas, situations, objects and materials that are inherent to any public space in relation to its context. Furthermore, the project aims to emphasize the possibilities of interdisciplinary collaboration, particularly between art, science and technology, and explore the relationship between theory and practice.

Over the course of the two days, five thematic panels will interrogate a specific question or problem as it relates to public space. Speakers will be grouped to represent overlapping research areas and modes of practice. The panels will follow themes including: Private Public Spaces, Reclaiming Public Space, Alternatives for Contemporary Public Space, Speculations on the Future of Public Space and Pedagogy of Public Space. Speakers have been invited based on their impressive work on relevant topics across privatization of public space, urban gentrification, corporate public space typology, infrastructural public spaces and leftover urban space, surveillance and security, violence, appropriation of public space, public art, activities and revolution in public space, non-places and commercial spaces, and the school as public space.

Please do not hesitate to be in touch with any questions.
I copy this to Lucas Spivey, event producer at ACT for further reference.
We are looking forward to welcome you at MIT.

Gediminas

M.I.T. Program in Art, Culture and Technology
School of Architecture and Planning
Gediminas Urbonas
Associate Professor
Mitsui Career Development Chair

Cellphone: (617) 650-6242
M.I.T., 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Bldg. E15-238
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307 USA