Domenico Quaranta on Sat, 7 Sep 2013 11:29:06 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Link Editions releases Beyond New Media Art, by Domenico Quaranta

.
Domenico Quaranta, Beyond New Media Art, Link Editions, Brescia 2013. English, soft cover, 290 pp. 15.00 €, ISBN 9781291376975

Link Editions is proud to announce the release of "Beyond New Media Art", by Domenico Quaranta.

"Beyond New Media Art" is the revised, updated version of a book first published in Italian with the title "Media, New Media, Postmedia" (Postmedia Books, Milan 2010). Through the circulation of excerpts, reviews and interviews, the book produced some debate outside of Italy, which persuaded the author to release, three years later, this English translation.

"Beyond New Media Art" is an attempt to analyze the current positioning of so-called New Media Art in the wider field of contemporary arts, and to explore the historical, sociological and conceptual reasons for its marginal position and under-recognition in recent art history. On the other hand, this book is also an attempt to suggest new critical and curatorial strategies to turn this marginalization into a thing of the past, and to stress the topicality of art addressing the media and the issues of the information age.

>From the book's preface: "So what is New Media Art? What does this term really describe? And what has occasioned the schism between this term and the art scene it is supposed to describe? And lastly, what accounts for the limited presence in critical debate of an artistic practice that appears to have all the credentials for representing an era in which digital media are powerfully reshaping the political, economic, social and cultural organization of the world we live in?"

Domenico Quaranta (http://domenicoquaranta.com) is an art critic and curator. His work focuses on the impact of the current techno-social developments on the arts. He regularly writes for Flash Art and Artpulse. In 2006 he edited (with M. Bittanti) the book "GameScenes. Art in the Age of Videogames"; in 2010, he published the book "Media, New Media, Postmedia". As a curator, he organized various shows, including "Holy Fire. Art of the Digital Age" (Bruxelles 2008, with Y. Bernard), "Playlist" (Gijon 2009 and Bruxelles 2010) and "Collect the WWWorld. The Artist as Archivist in the Internet Age" (Brescia 2011; Basel and New York, 2012).

Link Editions (http://editions.linkartcenter.eu) is a publishing initiative of the Link Center for the Arts of the Information Age. Link Editions uses print on demand and digital formats to create an accessible, dynamic series of essays and pamphlets, but also artist books, catalogues and conference proceedings. A keen advocate of the idea that information wants to be free, Link Editions releases its contents free of charge in .pdf format, and on paper at a price accessible to all. Link Editions is a not-for-profit initiative and all its contents are circulated under an Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license.

Until June 15, all Link Editions books will be available onLulu.com with a 20% discount.

---

Domenico Quaranta

email: quaranta.domenico@gmail.com
skype: dom_40