Nettime mailing list archives

<nettime-ann> Fwd: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Call For Papers : The Science of
BishopZ on Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:56:55 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Fwd: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Call For Papers : The Science of Stelarc

Apologies for cross-posting!
Best wishes,
karen ann donnachie
karen {AT} thisisamagazine.com

The Science of Stelarc
Conference 19th and 20th June 2013
Call For Papers due 17th May

The symposium will take place on the 19th and 20th of June 2013 at the School of Design and Art at Curtin University in Perth, Australia.

We are delighted that Stelarc will be in attendance over the two days and will be performing.

For decades Stelarc has worked to transcend the limits of the human body. Discussions about Stelarc’s work often concentrate on the relationship between the body and technology, but this symposium wishes to concentrate discussion on the ways in which Stelarc’s work is a manifestation of science, and how his investigations enrich our understanding of ourselves and the world.

For the purposes of the symposium we are defining science as the systematic study (by experiment and observation) of the natural world and its phenomena, conducted with the intention of better understanding how the world works. Technology is the practical application of that knowledge.

Papers are requested that will critically examine and/or report on Stelarc’s work as it relates to science. Panel presentations are welcomed. Subjects could include, but are not limited to Stelarc's relationship to:
•       Affect and E-motion
•       Artificial Intelligence / Artificial Life
•       Avatars and Second Life
•       Consciousness
•       Embodiment
•       Human/machine interaction.
•       Hybrid science
•       Hybrids and Chimeras
•       Obsolete Body
•       Science as cultural interface

Symposium papers that have been accepted after the refereeing process will be published in a book that will match international research criteria.

Abstracts should be 750 words in length, including title and references (APA). Submissions should be in Times New Roman font, size 11.
They should be submitted as a word file headed ‘Stelarc_abstract_[author’s surname]’ to stelarcconference {AT} gmail.com

Abstracts should conform to the following structure:
•       Title
•       Author/s Affiliation/s
•       Email address
•       3 keywords