David Miller on Wed, 20 Mar 2013 16:59:05 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Richard Stallman lecture at University Bedfordshire, Luton, UK - 20 March 6-8pm

.
RIMAD Special Guest Lecture - Richard Stallman

Title: "A Free Digital Society"

Date:
Wednesday 20 March from 18:00 to 21:00

Place:
Ian Dixon Lecture Theatre - Room A004, Luton Campus, University of Bedfordshire

"A Free Digital Society"
Activities directed at "including" more people in the use of digital
technology are predicated on the assumption that such inclusion is
invariably a good thing. It appears so, when judged solely by
immediate practical convenience. However, if we also judge in terms
of human rights, whether digital inclusion is good or bad depends on
what kind of digital world we are to be included in. If we wish to
work towards digital inclusion as a goal, it behooves us to make sure
it is the good kind.

Brief biography:
Dr. Richard Stallman launched the free software movement in 1983 and
started the development of the GNU operating system (see www.gnu.org)
in 1984.  GNU is free software: everyone has the freedom to copy it
and redistribute it, with or without changes.  The GNU/Linux system,
basically the GNU operating system with Linux added, is used on tens
of millions of computers today. sStallman has received the ACM Grace
Hopper Award, a MacArthur Foundation fellowship, the Electronic
Frontier Foundation's Pioneer Award, and the the Takeda Award for
Social/Economic Betterment, as well as several honorary doctorates.
http://www.stallman.org

How to get there: http://www.beds.ac.uk/contactus
Contact: Dave Miller (david.miller@beds.ac.uk)
RIMAD: http://www.beds.ac.uk/rimad