Geert Lovink on Mon, 4 Mar 2013 21:11:15 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> anti-deportation call-out

.
From: Rens <renss@xs4all.nl>

Tomorrow, Tuesday the 5th of March, a refugee* from the Dutch 'We Are Here' group is scheduled to be deported to Sudan on flight KL0545 at 10:10am.

Also today (Monday), the government re-affirms a travel advisory warning against travelling to Sudan, referring to violence and the fragile political condition in the country. Refugees run an even greater risk.

This refugee doesn't need to be deported. Even though the KLM claims they have an 'obligation to transport', they are in fact free to refuse to take him on board. Moreover, they are free to stop carrying out deportations in general, by simply living up to the 'social responsibliity' guidelines as posted on their website.

We can stop this deportation. You can help by raising your voice. Call the KLM. Email the KLM. Ask them questions. Ask what is happening and tell them you are not comfortable with them forcing someone to fly against his will. If the KLM decides it is unsafe, impractical or immoral to force someone onto a plane and into a situation which is life-threatening for him, the KLM can take measures against it.

This form of protest has stopped a deportation before.

It works if a lot of people join in, so your participation could make the difference.

To maximize the effectivity of this action we ask you to contact the KLM today, 4th of March, between 3pm and 5pm.

In our experience your message/question comes across most effectively if you stay as calm and polite as possible when you speak to someone on the phone.

Simultaneously, the refugees of the 'We Are Here' group will assemble at KLM headquarters today between 2 and 3 p.m. to personally deliver a letter of protest against the deportation.

------
KLM NV Corporate Communicatie Mediarelaties (AMS/DR)

Tel.: 020 649 45 45
Fax: 020 648 80 92

mediarelations@klm.com

------