fran ilich on Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:26:24 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Call for Arcade Narratives.

.
Call for Arcade Narratives

The Otra Cultura Construction Fund sends a call out to all narrators who want to distribute their short-format narrative works in a mini-arcade in NYC. We are interested in all narrative forms, whether textual or visual -- from fiction to poetry to counter-histories, comics or collage, manifestoes, horoscopes, dreams or secrets, classified ads and classified reports, slogans, chronicles, exquisite corpses...

These will be distributed through Spacebank’s mechanical red commodities store in the context of the 'Mini-Arcade' exhibition, curated by Kaho Abe for Eyebeam Art and Technology Center in Manhattan, New York.

Each piece will be sold for fifty cents via a vending machine. Fiction Department will assume the cost of the vending capsules, paper and ink. Royalties of 50% will be paid to all of the narrators (far more than the 10% traditionally offered by the publishing industry). Royalties will be issued to a Spacebank account and issued in its currency, Digital Material Sunflowers (12 DMS per page sold).

The requirements are minimal:

1. Send a narrative work that can be printed in a single letter-sized page in black and white.

2. The deadline for submission is Saturday November 12, 2011, which is the Day of the Postman and the Day of Literature in Mexico, as well the day when the proposal for the creation of the World Wide Web was written.

3. The pieces need to be sent as an attachment to dna@possibleworlds.org

4. We will try to distribute all of material submitted, but we are limited by the capacity of our supplies (one ream of paper, ink, and the fact that we only have 250 vending capsules), as well as by the market: we don’t know how many capsules will sell. But we are planning to re-stock the Narrative Machine to its full capacity, re-investing the earnings.

5. Nevertheless, all of the material submitted will be published in the webpage of Fiction Department / Departamento de Ficción <http://ficcion.de/>. This means that the submission of any material implies the creator’s accepting that is will be distributed through the mechanical store and will be published on the aforementioned webpage (credited appropriately, of course).

6. If we receive more than 250 proposals, the first set to be distributed by the narrative machine will be selected by the Otra Cultura Commission, whose members include Francisco Barrios "El Mastuerzo", Mariana Botey, Fran Ilich, Michael Hardt, Jennifer Flores Sternad, Inti Meza Villarino and Javier Smek.

The Otra Cultura Construction Fund is an initiative of the autonomous cooperative server Possibleworlds <http://possibleworlds.org/> and of Spacebank <http://spacebank.org/>, a virtual community investment bank. Both projects were born within the margins of the EZLN’s Sixth Declaration of the Lacandon Jungle in 2005. The Fund’s goal is to support, create, nurture and sow an Other Culture. <http://spacebank.org/>, a virtual community investment bank. Both projects were born within the margins of the EZLN’s Sixth Declaration of the Lacandon Jungle in 2005. The Fund’s goal is to support, create, nurture and sow an Other Culture.