BishopZ on Sat, 1 Oct 2011 22:10:09 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Fwd: [spectre] reminder: call for Art+Com2011: Techno-Ecologies conference

.
Hello, on spectre list!

this is reminder – you are very welcome to submit your proposals for
Art+Communication 2011 festival conference, which with the title
Techno-Ecologies will take place in Riga, November 4-5, 2011,
co-organized by RIXC, The center for new media culture and MPLab, Art
Research Lab of Liepaja University.

we have shortly extended the deadline – it is now October 5, 2011

please see more info on call and festival below and hope to see you in
Riga soon!

best regards,
Rasa

CALL for Exhibition and Conference proposals

Art+Communication 2011 festival:
TECHNO-ECOLOGIES
Inhabiting the deep technological spheres of everyday life

Techno-Ecologies is the theme of this year's Art+Communication
festival, the 13th edition of which will take place in Riga from
November 3 – 6, 2011, featuring conference (November 4–5) and
exhibition (November 4–December 11) as well as broad programme of
performances, screenings, public lectures and workshops in Riga and
Liepaja, Latvia.

* Conceptual framework

Everyday life has become so intimately interwoven with complex
technological ecologies that we can no longer consider technology as
the alienating other. A careful consideration of the relationships
between the natural and the artificial is required. The idea that we
'inhabit' technological ecologies emphasises our connectedness to our
environment (material, natural, technological) and our dependence on
the resources available there (material, energetic, biological,
cultural). Mastering these conditions is vital to our survival on this
planet.

Techno-Ecologies builds upon the concerns of Felix Guattari (the
French philosopher and co-conspirator of Gilles Deleuze) about the
lack of an integrated perspective on the dramatic techno-scientific
transformations the Earth has undergone in recent times. Guattari
urges to take three crucially important 'ecological registers' into
account: the environment, social relations, and human subjectivity.

Techno-Ecologies will develop a discussion between artists, theorists,
designers, environmental scientists, technologists, responsible
entrepreneurs and activists to develop this perspective. Diversity,
social and ecological sustainability, and a much deeper understanding
of technology as an extension of our desires are the building blocks
that we want to bring together to build a perspective that can help us
chart less hazardous routes into the future than the ones currently
travelled.

-----> The Techno-Ecologies concept for Art+Communication 2011
festival and exhibition is developed by Eric Kluitenberg.
See full concept text at the festival website: http://rixc.lv/11

* Conference CALL:

In relation to the theme proposed above, for the Techno-Ecologies
conference we welcome proposals by by both – academic researchers and
artists, as well as scientists, technology researchers, sociologists,
philosophers, architects, designers, futurists, and other lateral
thinkers, who are engaged with the issues of social and ecological
sustainability, and are interested in a deeper understanding of
technology.

Please send your short abstract (ca. 200 words) and bio (ca. 60 words)
to e-mail: <rixc (at) rixc.lv> and / or <rasa (at) rixc.lv> (Rasa
Smite)

The DEADLINE for conference abstracts: October 5, 2011

The conference is 2-day international academic event that takes place
in Riga, November 4 - 5, 2011 (at RIXC Media Space), co-organized by
RIXC and MPLab (Art Research Lab) of Liepaja University.
The conference papers and thematically related articles after the
conference will be published in the next issue (No. 11) of Acoustic
Space, peer-reviewed journal for transdisciplinary research on art,
science, technology and society.

* Preliminary programme:

November 3, 2011 – Opening of the Art+Communication festival and the exhibition.
November 4 – 5, 2011 – 2-day conference.
November 4 – December 11, 2011 – Techno-Ecologies exhibition open for public.
November 7 – 13, 2011 – follow-up events: iWeek workshops and public
lectures in Liepaja.

* Organisers:

The festival and the exhibition is organized by RIXC, The Center for
New Media Culture
http://rixc.lv

The exhibition is co-curated by Raitis Smits, Rasa Smite and Eric Kluitenberg.

The international academic conference is organized by RIXC in
collaboration with MPLab (Art Research Lab) of Liepaja University
http://mplab.lv