Drew Hemment on Fri, 6 May 2011 19:36:55 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> FutureEverything 2011 Conference Programme

.

FUTUREEVERYTHING 2011 CONFERENCE PROGRAMME
12-13 May, Manchester England

http://futureeverything.org/ideas-overview

The FutureEverything Conference takes place on 12-13 May at our brand new festival hub, Four Piccadilly Place, situated in the heart of Manchester city centre. Following on from the successful introduction of DataGM, the festival and conference programme investigate a world after Open Data. Our conference is one of the leading UK events that focuses on the latest developments in digital culture and this year’s lineup of speakers is arguably our best yet. Festival Passes available here http://futureeverything.org/tickets.

Themes and speakers featured in 2011 include:

EMOTIONAL COMPUTING AND ONLINE ROBOTS
Computers are becoming more human-like, displaying emotions, and the social web is populated with alter egos crammed full of empathy. This is changing the way we discover, consume and curate content online. With Toby Barnes, David Bausola, Tom Chatfield, Meg Pickard, Dan Catt.

______________________

NETWORKED CITY AND GAMIFICATION
Our cities are changing. We can configure the objects that surround us and begin to 'perform' space together. Games and play have started to break out of the traditional frame of the video screen, enabling the gamification of urban space. Meanwhile some geeks are leaving the city behind. With Juha van 't Zelfde, Sue Thomas, James Bridle, Luis Bettencourt, Kars Alfrink.

______________________

OPEN DATA
Data is is the lifeblood of our modern technologised society. By opening up data we create an environment for innovation, understanding and engagement. Following on from last year, we look at the impact of open data on journalism, government and society. With Keri Facer, Tim Davies, Theresa Grant, Emer Coleman, Tom Steinberg, Sarah Hartley, Paul Bradshaw, Martin Belam, David Higgerson, Chris Taggart, Rachel Coldicutt, Katy Beale, Dan Williams, Fiona Moorhead. The Open Data strand is sponsored by CityCo.

______________________

NEW MOBILITIES
Driver-less cars are not far away, and smart transport can lead to new services and applications, integrating our transport options with event listings and other aspects of our urban lives. What are the challenges and opportunities of open transport data systems? With John Urry, David Hytch, Razia Ahmed, Jonathan Raper, Malcolm Barclay, Simon East.

______________________

DIGITAL GHOSTS
Long after our physical things have been crushed, burnt or tipped into a landfill, the digital 'ghost‚' continues to live on and be searchable. At the same time, digital manufacturing is leading makers to create otherwise unimaginable objects. With Chris Speed, Michael Eden, Sally Fort, James Boardwell, Andy Huntington.

______________________

INFINITE BANDWIDTH/ZERO LATENCY
A future of infinite bandwidth, zero latency is coming closer with the spread of the next generation of networks, so fast and so immediate that bandwidth and latency don't really matter any more. What are the implications for privacy, control of information flow, the impact of multiple always-on channels? with Manchester Digital.

______________________

FREE CULTURE AND COLLABORATIVE ENTREPRENEURS
Digital culture has given rise to alternative forms of value transfer and new forms of collaborative enterprise. How can we combine economies of scale with social, emotional and cultural values. With Ela Kagel, Geof Cox.

______________________

LEAVE NO-ONE BEHIND
We inhabit a culture where information has become the modern era's defining quality. As our transactions are increasingly articulated in digital forms, what becomes of those that lack the access or literacy to participate in those transactions? And is such a civilisation a better civilisation? With Bill Thompson.

______________________

CONFERENCE INFORMATION
Online timetable http://futureeverything.org/timetable
PDF timetable download http://bit.ly/j9m9dK
Festival brochure download http://bit.ly/m1eQQe

BLOGS
http://futureeverything.org/cultureblog
http://futureeverything.org/innovationblog

TICKETS
There's only a week to go until the opening of FutureEverything 2011! Book now to benefit from the pre-booking discount rate of £150 + VAT. Buy your Festival Passes here http://futureeverything.org/tickets.

http://futureeverything.org

FutureEverything is support by Arts Council England, Manchester City Council, Paul Hamlyn Foundation, ImaginationLancaster, Lancaster University and the European Union within the CULTURE PROGRAMME (2007 - 2013).