Parikka, Jussi on Mon, 27 Dec 2010 20:05:51 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Call for Contributions: Network Politics

.
Title: Call for Contributions: Network Politics

Dear Nettime

in addition to recently circulated CFP for our Platform Politics-conference in May,

this is a Call for Contributions to our Network Politics-project, which attempts to probe key questions, thematics, theoretical and practical approaches to the question of "how is politics changing in the age of networks?" More specifically, the project maps new forms of political action - and such practices and ideas that have not even always been identified as political - and its entanglement with platforms, software, protocols, social media and related thematics.

Our so-called RFC section - in the spirit of Request for Comments format. Shortly described as part of our politics:

In the spirit of collaboration engendered by the early pioneers of the Internet the international advisors to the project will be writing short position statements on various aspects of network politics as they see it. We invite comments on these statements as a way of kick starting the project and developing the agendas that emerge for exploration and deliberation at the planned network events. The Request for Comments has emerged as a key method facilitating ideas and innovations in designing the Internet. How would this method work in terms of media theory? Join the discussion and the RFC streams that aim to elaborate "network politics"!

The initial position papers for the project are given by our advisory board and internationally leading theorists. Please read them, and continue the discussion with your input in terms of developing the conceptual and practical ideas regarding "what is network politics?".

We invite from writers, artists, activists and others short, 100-400 word comments, continuations to discussion in order to create key insights of how we should think and do network politics -- a repository of ideas and practices for future discussions and projects.

http://www.networkpolitics.org/content/request-comments

If you would like to contribute, please get in touch with either Joss Hands (joss.hands@anglia.ac.uk ) and/or Jussi Parikka (jussi.parikka@anglia.ac.uk).

All best
Jussi and Joss

http://www.networkpolitics.org/
Dr Jussi Parikka
Director of CoDE: The Cultures of the Digital Economy-institute
Reader in Media Theory & History
Co-Director of Anglia Research Centre in Digital Culture (ArcDigital)
Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge (UK)

*Book news*: Insect Media: An Archaeology of Animals and Technology is out! Published by University of Minnesota Press:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/P/parikka_insect.html

EMERGING EXCELLENCE: In the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008, more than 30% of our submissions were rated as 'Internationally Excellent' or 'World-leading'.
Among the academic disciplines now rated 'World-leading' are Allied Health Professions & Studies; Art & Design; English Language & Literature; Geography & Environmental Studies; History; Music; Psychology; and Social Work & Social Policy & Administration.
Visit www.anglia.ac.uk/rae for more information.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the above named recipient(s) only and may be privileged. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone: please reply to this e-mail to highlight the error and then immediately delete the e-mail from your system.

Any opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Anglia Ruskin University.

Although measures have been taken to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus we advise that, in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free. Please note that this message has been sent over public networks which may not be a 100% secure communications

Email has been scanned for viruses by Altman Technologies' email management service