SpiritMag on Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:22:39 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> re-sent August 2010 Fwd: Dr Harish Chandra's article in SpiritMag Feb '08

.
SpiritMag February '08

Volume II, No. 6

VIII. The Memory and Its Programming

Last month we had discussed the three constituent units of the mind domain – mind, memory and intellect. The first unit of mind functions as the link between the subtle mind domain and the gross body. It picks up the incoming knowledge from the sense organs for sight, sound, smell, taste and touch. In the outward direction, it activates the organs for karma and brings the body in action. The second unit of memory stores the incoming knowledge for future reference before 'projecting' it to the intellect unit that 'displays' the incoming knowledge for the soul' to become aware of. Now, the decision is taken by the soul with the help of the intellect (called, thinking) and then it's relayed to the memory and mind units. Thus, the body's motor organs are activated for the outgoing karma.

Let us consider some instances in the day to day life to gain appreciation for the miniature size and swift speed of the above three units' functioning – namely, the mind, memory and intellect. The first instance is related to seeing someone while walking on a crowded sidewalk. I see someone approaching from the opposite direction. Once the pictorial image of his image is brought in by the sight organ, it's picked up by the mind unit and then projected by the memory unit on the intellect unit. Then I, the soul, become aware of it. Immediately, the intellect unit retrieves pictorial images of a number of people from my memory and I conclude that this person is 'X' whom I had met some months ago in another city. Two main functions are taking place: First, direct perception of a pictorial image as a human face. Second, its comparison with a number of human faces stored in the memory and then concluding that it's 'X'. A pictorial image consists of billions of data points and in this case, this is not a two-dimensional picture, rather a three-dimensional sculpted figure is being discussed. Then I compare it with a number of faces before concluding that this is 'X'. All this happens in a matter of milliseconds while the data involved will be of the order of billions of points. This is a simple instance when I conclude that the approaching man is 'X' and then I decide whether to meet him or to avoid meeting him, etc.

Let us now consider a more complex instance involving repeated actions, such as, when I begin to learn riding on a bicycle as a child. The first time I have removed the support wheels, I am fully absorbed in learning the skill to ride a bicycle. All my senses are focused and any change in speed before a turn arrives causes the body to tilt in a particular manner to maintain the balance of the body and bicycle. During the practice sessions, the incoming knowledge particularly by the sight is quickly processed and decision is taken by the intellect to move the body parts in a particular manner. Over the years, the memory has stored such a detailed functioning in its minutest manner that it becomes possible for me to ride the bicycle smoothly with practically no attention that I may even be talking to someone else. The repeated actions have developed detailed functional programs (self-generated software) that are stored in the memory unit that a larger fraction of memory-intellect link can devote to other intellectual functions. It should be noted that the body organs for action/karma have larger inertia (than that possessed by the organs for knowledge), meaning that their activation requires greater attention and thereafter it goes on 'by itself'. Similarly, greater attention is required to modify its function or to de-activate it. This instance can be characterized as conditioning of the mind where repeated actions make it almost like an automated function when the memory software stores and executes the self-generated software. Since every individual has a unique style of riding the bicycle like a 'signature', it must be the self-generated software.

There are instances when I overdo certain functions causing long-term damage to myself. For example, I may be overworking in my office for a stretch of several months. I could have taken recourse to some relaxation regime during the day so that the additional mental fatigue could be dissipated. But, habitually overworking with the mind without associated relaxation leads to a stressful personality. Now my behavior may change that I may get angry on minor provocations and even develop chronic health related problems. Again here too, the memory unit has programmed itself (by overworking without relaxation in-between) to react in a certain manner that is detrimental to my physical and mental health.

There can be more complex instances when moral criteria may gain importance, such as, when one decides to rob, rape or murder someone else. The decision-making begins with an idea of gaining a short term benefit even at the cost of harming another person. Such acts require meticulous planning because there are societal laws to punish those who have committed such crimes. Yet, there are people who commit them. Of course, the first time they do such an act they go through a great deal of 'internal discussion' when an inner voice may even advise them to refrain from doing so. However, they tread on the wrong path and over a period of time they even become habitual criminals.

The above instances relate to the functioning of the mind in a wide range of tasks, such as, a very trivial act of recognizing a person while on a street on one extreme, to committing a grave crime on another extreme. In between, we have an activity where we learn to ride a bicycle. Also, we pointed out that how one could gradually shift to a stressful personality without caring for a mental relaxation regime in the day-to-day life of overwork. The common thread throughout is that we program our mind; we prepare the software for the mind domain. So, we have nobody to blame. Every act of ours bears our signature – the way we walk, the way we write, the way we sign, the way we develop our personality, and the way we live our life – all are our karma. The moral of the story is that I can undo all the wrong things that I programmed in my mind by re-writing more positive programs. I can develop a positive attitude towards life and towards others. I can tread on the line of loftier karma. Inner sciences can help me reshape my life. I must not rely on others' tempting but false ideas that 'if I accept this man as my savior then my life is saved'. Though there is a benefit in learning from others yet mere acceptance of a wrong and unscientific notion can do great harm. While I must be open to learning and inspiration from others, I must rely on myself.

Next month we will discuss a very important concept that relates to the core strength of the inner sciences. Can we call inner sciences as sciences? Generally, the layperson believes that what pertains to matter can be studied scientifically but not so with spirituality. In other words, people think that the matter can be studied by direct perception while spirituality is based on inference. I will attempt to explode this myth by saying that the spiritual sciences are based on direct perception whereas matter is studied through inference. Now that we have briefly discussed the inner functioning of the mind domain, we are in a position to gain a correct perspective on this myth. This is very important that we develop the inner sciences on a strong footing for it to become a worldwide movement towards a lasting universal love, brotherhood and peace.

-          Dr Harish Chandra

B.Tech. (IIT Kanpur)

Ph.D. (Princeton, USA)

            CIS News

1. Google Group: We are pleased to send the February 2008 article of SpiritMag as we transfer our mailing list to this new Google group.

2. Old Articles: Dr Harish Chandra's previous SpiritMag articles may be seen at http://groups.google.com/group/spiritmag?lnk=srg

3Events in Canada-USA in August-September: We are pleased to announce:

a) 11-session program on ‘Science of Yoga: Patanjali Meditation’ for Stress-Free Living in downtown Toronto, Friday Aug 27 to Monday Sep 6. Contact Ken 416 705 2003, Sanjeev 416 939 8666

b) Lecture at Jacksonville, Florida, Sunday Sep 12, Contact Hemant Vashi 904 733 2533, 904 742 6842

c) ‘Science of Yoga: Patanjali Meditation’ for Stress-Free Living in Atlanta, Friday Sep 17 to Saturday Sep 18, Contact 770 381 3662

d) Sunday Sep 19, Lecture at Atlanta, Contact 770 381 3662

4. CIS website:

Our website www.centerforinnersciences.org is currently being redesigned.

Thanking you,

SpiritMag Team