Alan Sondheim on Wed, 4 Aug 2010 22:42:45 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Deep Language, by Alan Sondheim, Salt Publishing, 2010

.

Deep Language, by Alan Sondheim, Salt Publishing, 2010

Salt Publishing has just brought out my Deep Language; the URL is

http://www.saltpublishing.com/books/smp/9781844718030.htm

Please consider ordering this; it's inexpensive, and helps support Salt.
If you don't want the book, please check out the publisher's other
listings - Salt is one of the few independent companies who are not
publish-on-demand; their books are found in bookstores, there are review
copies, and so forth. They really need your support; they have a number of
wonderful writers, and their paperbacks are high quality. Salt is at
http://www.saltpublishing.com/ and they are very cool.

Deep Language,

Alan Sondheim

EAN13:  9781844718030 ISBN:  9781844718030 Author:  Alan Sondheim Title:
Deep Language Series:  Salt Modern Poets Audience:  General/trade
Publisher:  Salt Publishing Pub date:  30-Jul-10 Extent:  260pp Height:
246 mm Width:  189 mm Thickness:  15 mm Weight:  390 gms Supplier:
Gardners Books Supplier:  Ingram Book Group Supplier:  Inbooks (James
Bennett) Availability:  NP Price:  GBP 12.99 Price:  USD 16.95 Rights:
World

PAPERBACK / SOFTBACK

20% off at the UK Bookstore! 12.99 10.39

20% off at the US Bookstore! $16.95 $13.56

Short description/annotation:  A series of short texts or poems that revel
in structured and unstructured language, with all the gaps and excitement
that happens when language is stressed to the limit.

Main description:  In Sondheim.s Deep Language, writing detours through
digital and other media, returning with new forms and genres, new ways of
thinking philosophy, the body, religion, and everything else. This is a
series of poems that revel in structured and unstructured language, with
all the gaps and excitement that happens when language is stressed to the
limit.

These pieces cohere, interrelate, interpenetrate; they develop the concept
of deep language in any number of fascinating ways, ranging from intuitive
writing to the use of scripts, code, and programming to elucidate hidden
meanings . where none may have existed before.

Excerpt from book:

bunnies

the bunnies made strange calls, odd calls, gruntings, not the thumpings
but the gruntings - ..I say. .there is a chair.. . Wittgenstein in
translation . right over the other lupus. ears, just like that! .->:anyway
the rabbits did this five or six times in a row and it seemed fairlyclear
they were playing and right in front of us in the middle of the night.
Honestly, you should have seen them! I never saw such a thing! I never
knew rabbits could do such a thing! .Do not try to analyse your own inner
experience.. - Wittgenstein in translation -:i pucker my lips constantly
in the absence of the shakuhachi. i know its murmuring burbling abbling
brook. now i.m at a loss, having transformed bAbbling into something else
entirely . in any case, when i die, these three instruments will huddle in
a maddening corner, bubbling with mournful murmuring cries . .Not it.s
looking like him.. - Wittgenstein in translation . ]]] here is a space.
the one rabbit runs straight at the other and the other rabbit jumps
vertically at the very last moment over the first rabbit and landf in the
same spot.that.s .lands.. <..::

Write through my the bunnies made strange calls, odd calls, gruntings, not
the thumpings but the gruntings . ..I say. .there is a chair.. -
Wittgenstein in translation . right over the other lupus. ears, just like
that! .->!

Unpublished endorsement:  Alan Sondheim writes. In fear of death . literal
fear, real fear, symbolic fear . he uses anything and everything at his
disposal to make and unmake himself and all of us as statements, words,
part-words, characters. Alan Sondheim is one of the precious few who
joyfully . and in abject misery . risks these terrors of writing for us,
for our pleasure and our undoing. What happens? Language disposes of us.

As if that were not all that is required of any writer, Alan Sondheim is
also the poet, the artist, the maker who has most profoundly immersed
himself and his work in the life-changing code-forms . of networked
computation . that have the world and its .genesis redux. in their grip.
John Cayley

Unpublished endorsement:  Pioneer of experimental sensibility in multiple
performance media Alan Sondheim tangles us up in these hypnotically
repetitive, abject, slyly humorous and childishly gleeful,
philosophically, aesthetically, theoretically and psychologically dense
and insightful poems that are also essays, diasporic riffs and
incantations, true confessions, Platonic dialogues, shtick, tantrums,
aphorisms and manifesti. And that.s just the first 5 pieces! Maria Damon

Biographical note:  Alan Sondheim was born in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania;
he lives with his partner, Azure Carter, in Brooklyn NY. He holds a B.A.
and M.A. from Brown University in English. A new-media artist, writer, and
theorist, he has exhibited, performed and lectured widely. Sondheim's
writings include the anthology Being on Line: Net Subjectivity (Lusitania,
1996), Disorders of the Real (Station Hill, 1988), .echo (alt-X digital
arts, 2001), Vel (Blazevox 2004-5), Sophia (Writers Forum, 2004), Orders
of the Real (Writers Forum, 2005), The Accidental Artist (Fort/Da),
Azure/Nature/Digital (Blue Lion, 2009), and The Wayward (Salt, 2004) as
well as numerous chapbooks, ebooks, and articles.