Maggie Otieno on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:23:23 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> AfricanColours Newsletter

.

Hello,

On this week’s newsletter writer Sophie Alal in Uganda brings us a feature about  a two man show at Tulifanya Gallery in Kampala that unites for the first time two previous winners of the coveted ‘Discoveries Young Artists’ Ronald `Ro’ Odokotho & Yusuf Kiire. In Zimbabwe, Godwin Muzari the Arts and Entertainment editor for the Standard in Harare tells us why artists in Zimbabwe have not been free to express themselves why their voices have been silenced and information suppressed for ruffling the political elite in the Mugabe regime. While still down south – South African Zwelethu Mthethwa's long awaited first Monograph is to be published. The monographs comprise of stunning large scale works with a fresh approach marked by colour and a dynamic exchange between the photographer and the photographed.

Many more stories and opinions can be found in the newsletter. Be sure to check it out!

Contemporary art events and spaces are emerging all over the continent. We are buoyed by the re awakening to the importance of arts and culture in Africa and the interest that it is generating worldwide.

A new space for contemporary East African art has been opened by a long time promoter of contemporary art in East Africa Carol Lees. After nine years running Rahimtulla Museum of Modern Art (RaMoMA), its former curator’s next mission is to seek new markets for the extraordinary talent present in East Africa. The One off Gallery is delighted to invite you for its first open day on 14th March 2010. This will be a rare opportunity to acquire works by established East African artists Richard Kimathi, Timothy Brooke, Peterson Kamwathi, Joseph Bertiers and Fitsum Woldelibanos

Please check our events section of the newsletter and website to see other important shows, opportunities available to a location near you. If you have an event related to contemporary African that you would like listed on the AfricanColours website do not hesitate to contact us. For artists who want to submit their portfolios click here for submission guidelines.

Don’t forget you can interact with AfricanColours through its facebook page.

For our new subscribers Pip Beale, Faisal Kiwewa, Jessica Hudsley, Anne Sweet, artists Vusi Mfupi and Kyalo Justus, Gloria Badaru, David Rhody, Wanjiru Naisenya Kimani, Janet Stanley we say thank you, you have arrived!

We wish you good reading and success promoting contemporary African art.

Maggie Otieno
General Manager
AfricanColours ltd/ AfricanColours.com

cid:EF165EBF41824690A989C0F6379F2241@goro

Office: + 254 20 2250373

Mobile: +254 724 231071

Email: maggie@africancolours.com

Check out our new look website! www.africancolours.com

The information contained in this communication is intended for the use of the designated recipients named above. If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify AfricanColours ltd immediately by telephone at +254 20 2250373 or email info@africancolours.com and delete this email. Thank you