Turbulence on Wed, 16 Dec 2009 02:44:18 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Turbulence Commission: "I'm Not Stalking You; I'm Socializing: Status Grabber" by Liz Filardi

.
December 14, 2009
Turbulence Commission: "I'm Not Stalking You; I'm Socializing: Status
Grabber" by Liz Filardi
http://turbulence.org/works/stalkingsocial/

A record of telephone interactions is gathered under the pretense of a
social networking service called "Status Grabber," in which a representative
makes personal phone calls to request very short "status updates" from
strangers. Call recipients are told that someone they know has anonymously
requested a status update about them, and that they should provide the
representative with an open statement about their career, family, social
life, or literal whereabouts. The service mimics the social activity of
users on Facebook and Twitter, where users stay connected without directly
interacting. In creating an analog version of those services, "Status
Grabber" places analogous pressure on individuals to relinquish privacy in
order to participate in this new model of socialization. "Status Grabber" is
part of a project called "I'm Not Stalking You; I'm Socializing," in which
the artist explores how social networking changes the ways in which we
relate to one another and enrich our lives. Visitors to the website can
directly request status updates through the satirical service, listen to
phone records, and view rolling, one-line status updates.

BIOGRAPHY

Liz Filardi is an emerging New York-based artist and recent graduate of the
Parsons Design and Technology MFA program. Through narrative experiments
with social networks, her work examines issues of privacy, property,
intimacy, and identity.

END OF THE YEAR APPEAL

Dear Friends,

As the end of the year draws near, we hope you will think about supporting
our many inspiring and innovative projects -- Turbulence.org,
Networked_Performance, Networked_Music_Review, Networked: a (networked_book)
about (networked_art), Upgrade! Boston, Floating Points, Programmable Media,
New American Radio -- and the artists, scholars, and writers they support.

Please contribute $10, $25, $50 or more. No amount is too small! No amount
is too large! Contribute via PayPal on Turbulence (http://turbulence.org) or
send a check to:

New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.
124 Bourne Street
Roslindale, MA 02131, USA

Thanks for your generous support, and a Happy New Year to you all.

Warm Regards,

Jo-Anne Green and Helen Thorington, Co-Directors
New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.