Uhnak, Leslie Anne on Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:24:33 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> CONFERENCE - Animating Archives: Making New Media Matter

.

The paradox of modern media is that it is everywhere and nowhere at once.  New media accentuates the “frenzy of the visible” ushered in by film and photography so that we now live in a world saturated with screens, images and objects—from gigantic public screens to cell phones—all demanding that we look at them.

At the same time, however, they also work invisibly, turning every day events into fodder for surveillance, adding an invisible layer of code—and a formerly inconceivable amount of data—onto the world.  The uptake of these digital telecommunications technologies is thus generating new questions, methods and approaches, the more pressing of which are focused on the archive and archival practice.

The

The Malcolm S. Forbes for Research in Culture and Media Studies and the Cogut Center for the Humanities are collaborating to bring together three dozen leading scholars and practitioners in the field of new media to share their thoughts and projects under one roof. The result is a ground-breaking conference entitled "Animating Archives: Making New Media Matter." The conference runs from December 3-5, 2009 at the Cogut Center's home, historic Pembroke Hall on the campus of Brown University, Providence, RI.

Conference is free, but registration is required.

For more information and a list of speakers, please visit: http://brown.edu/Conference/animating/index.html

For additional information, and to register, please visit our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=283047255103

Leslie Uhnak

Academic Programs Coordinator

Cogut Center for the Humanities

Box 1983

Providence RI 02912

401-863-6302

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia