Geert Lovink on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:47:08 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Danny Schechter's New Book: THE CRIME OF OUR TIME

.
Supporter,

Make a Donation and Get a Copy of Danny Schechter's New Book: THE CRIME OF OUR TIME

Websites are becoming increasingly desperate in their fundraising appeals. Support is harder and harder to find. You hear editors criticizing progressives for not supporting their media. Frustration is everywhere. One site practically screams, "We are struggling, and we need you, our readers, to give us the opportunity to survive." Another admits, "** Our Situation is Beyond Critical. ** This has been the worst response ever to our appeal for financial help with operating expenses. ** Donations Are Down 70%. **"

This is partly a function of the times, partly of how many websites and online publications are now competing in the same space. And especially, a function of the desperate straits the media itself is in. One report published in my blog explained, "Since the Lehman Bros. collapse last September, the journalism industry lost jobs at almost three times the rate of jobs lost in the economy each month."

UNITY's 2009 Layoff Tracker Report shows an average 22% increase in journalism jobs lost each month from September 2008 through August 2009. In contrast, the economy shed jobs at an average pace of plus 8% each month during the same period."

Clearly, we who do this work have to find ways to collaborate and help each other. Our own models need to change. And you, dear reader, have to decide whether its worth it for you to dig a little deeper to help out. We have been getting a response to our latest appeal, but its far from adequate -- and our costs are low. To sweeten the pot, I am prepared to offer a pre-publication copy of my new book, THE CRIME OF OUR TIME as an incentive. If you donate $50 or more, we will send you a copy. It is the first book to investigate the financial crisis as a crime story. It is a companion to my new film PLUNDER on the same subject. I would like to think it is my best book of the ten I have written, fresh with new disclosures and hard to find information including a critique of how the media has blown the story.

We have had over 1000 people sign up as members of the new Mediachannel 2.0. Some are contributing articles and posting videos. We created the site to build a network and community. We have -- but its future is hardly secure.

Many of you have been with us for a long time. We may not have a long time left unless you help out, and the sooner the better.

Donate $50 or more online or send a check made out to:

The Global Center
575 8th Avenue, #2200
New York, NY 10018.
Please write "for MediaChannel.org" on the memo line of your check.

Thank you,

-- DANNY SCHECHTER
News Dissector and Editor