Alan Sondheim on Fri, 21 Aug 2009 22:40:29 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> The Dispersive Anatomies special issue of Leonardo is up!

.

The Dispersive Anatomies special issue of Leonardo is up!

http://www.leonardo.info/LEA/DispersiveAnatomies/DispersiveAnatomies.html

Do take a look at this - it has a stunning group of artists, theorists,
thinkers of all sorts - we're quite proud of it. Due to editorial changes
at MIT, it's been two years in the making, but it's a worthwhile wait!

Thanks for your patience, and please check it out!

Here's a description of the original call for the issue:

**
*Dispersive Anatomies*
**
*Guest Editors:* Sandy Baldwin, Alan Sondheim and Mez Breeze
**

*Call for papers - LEA Dispersive Anatomies*
*-------------------------------------------------------------------

*The Leonardo Electronic Almanac (ISSN No: 1071-4391) is inviting papers
and artworks that address dispersion - dispersion of bodies, objects,
landscapes, networks, virtual and real worlds.

A fundamental shift in the way we view the world is underway: the
abandonment of discrete objects, and objecthood itself. The world is now
plural, and the distinction between real and virtual is becoming
increasingly blurred, with troubling consequences within the geopolitical
register. This shift is related to a cultural change that emphasizes
digital deconstruction over analog construction: a photograph for example
can be accessed and transformed, pixel by pixel, cities can be taken apart
by gerrymandering or eminent domain, and our social networks are replete
with names and images that problematize friendship, sexuality, and culture
itself. One issue that emerges here: Are we networking or are we
networked? Are we networks ourselves?

LEA is interested in texts and works that deal with this fundamental shift
in new and illuminating ways. Specifically, anything from essays through
multimedia through networks themselves may be considered. We're
particularly interested in submissions that deal with the incoherency of
the world, and how to address it. *Key topics of interest
---------------------------------

*Topics of interest might include (but are not limited to):
- Networked warfare in real and virtual worlds.
- The wounded/altered body in real and virtual worlds.
- Transgressive sexualities across borders, sexualities among body-parts,
dismemberments and groups, both real and virtual.

- Critical texts on the transformation of classical narrative - from its
emphasis on an omniscient narrator and coherent plots/characters, to
literatures of incoherency, dispersed narrations, and the jump-cut
exigencies of everyday life.

- Deleuze/Guattari, TAZ, and other phenomena at the border of networking.
- Internet visions and their abandonment or fulfillment.
- The haunting of the world by ghosts, virtual beings, dreams and nightmares
that never resolve.

- The geopolitical collapse of geopolitics.
- Military empires as scattershot entrepreneurial corporations.

Dispersion has two vectors: the breakup or breakdown of coherent objects;
and the subsequent attempt to corral, curtail, or recuperate from this
breakdown. How do we deal with networks that are constantly coalescing and
disappearing? Where are we in the midst of this? In an era of pre-emptive
culture, is guerilla warfare to be accompanied by guerilla culture as the
order of the day?