kristina andersen on Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:04:31 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Reminder: Call for student applications to The Patchingzone, Rotterdam, The Netherlands

.
Apologies for cross posting!

Reminder: Call for student applications to The Patchingzone, Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Deadline is Nov. 3th 2008

GO FOR IT! is a creative collaboration project developed for and with local youth, students and researchers in Rotterdam. We are looking for current graduate and post graduate students to join us for one or two semesters in 2009. We welcome applications from the fields of game design, art and technology, performing arts, design, cognitive science, art and cultural management, computer science, anthropology, etc. We are happy to be in close communication with your home institution to make sure your participation fits into your overall study.

GO FOR IT! is a creative collaboration project that will be developed for and with local youth, students and researchers in Rotterdam. The project is built around a series of creative technology workshops and public events that deal with contemporary technology such as ‘wearables’, physical computing, e-fashion, mobile communication and other means of _expression_. The outcome of the workshops and events results in an interactive urban game that will be performed and played in the Rotterdam’s city district Feijenoord. The project will be realised, under the supervision of professionals, as a collaborative effort by local young people and a team of outstanding students from different backgrounds. The objective of Go for IT! is multifaceted, we aim to work on social and cultural issues through exchange and collaboration among our participants and professionals from the creative industries. We will be working with creative youth culture, innovative urban game concepts and technology relating to public space. This brings forward the most pressing issue: How can game concepts, art, and e-cultural events enrich urban public space?  Which creative technology applications can encourage real time co-creation and collaboration within these spaces?

Runtime:
Spring and fall semester 2009
Location: Rotterdam, city-district Feijenoord, The Netherlands

Would you like to be part of the team? We invite you to apply now for one or two semesters in 2009!

What we offer: a research grant of 350,- euro per month, unique transdisciplinairy collaboration experiences under supervision of excellent supervisors on both practical and theoretic levels, seminars with prominent researchers, theorists, designers and artists, and a broad network of contacts in the fields of science, art, culture and design. There is NO subscription or entry fee for students to participate in this project!

Application form here: http://www.patchingzone.net/?q=node/40

The Patchingzone is a transdisciplinary laboratory for innovation. Master, doctor, post-doc students and professionals from different backgrounds work together on situation specific commissions by socially engaged organisations, governments and industry. These commissions are executed according to the original interpretations by each team. The outcomes represent both the sum of the involved education programmes and disciplines and the surplus value of their collaborative effort itself. Our themes are approached from a transdisciplinary perspective and include a strong focus on playfulness and a dialogue between the makers and the participants. The Patchingzone works closely with V2_ and builds on the knowledge and expertise gained in the V2_Lab; the research and development department of V2_ and the PhD research ‘Processpatching’, Defining New Methods in aRt&D by Anne Nigten. The Patchingzone’s team: Kristina Andersen (Ma/Msc), Rene Wassenburg, Lyndsey Housden (MA student), Prof. Lynda Hardman, drs. Dineke Keemink, Dr. Anne Nigten and several prominent guest lecturers.

Jury
All applications will be reviewed and juried based on its (discipline specific) quality, expertise about the field, the motivation for transdisciplinary collaboration and its creative approach towards the theme.
The first round of selections will be done by an expert jury; Prof. Lynda Hardman (head semantic interfaces group, C.W.I. / part-time full professor TUe), Dr. Dirk Heylen, coordinator of MSc Human Media Interaction and the minor program Art, Media and Technology at the University of Twente, Drs. Dick Rijken (lector Haagse Hoge School / Waterwolf), Alex Adriaansens (director and head-curator V2_, Institute for the Unstable Media), Kristina Andersen MA / MSc (Steim, workshop leader and mentor The Patchingzone, NL) and  Dr. Anne Nigten (researcher and director The Patchingzone, NL).
In a final round The Patchingzone core team and representatives of the involved cultural institutes and city-district Feijenoord will review the pre-selected proposals for the team composition and expertise matches. The final team will be announced 1 month after the deadline.

Download application form from our website:
http://patchingzone.net

The Patchingzone, Eendrachtsstraat 10, 3012XL Rotterdam (NL)  kvk #24414318
Read more about the first pilot-project of The Patchingzone: http://cultuurlokaal.patchingzone.net