Dylan Paddock on Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:50:05 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: Tank and Swarovski search for innovative film directors

.
Hi there

I thought you and your readers may be interested in our call for submissions as we search for the freshest film directors around.

All the best
Dylan.

Swarovski and Tank launch Three Graces film competition

Swarovski has teamed up with Tank to search the creative community for the freshest film directors around. The Three Graces competition, which launches today, is an open call to filmmakers and creatives working with the moving image to develop a short film to accompany one of three exclusive tracks we’ve commissioned for the project.

Submissions will interpret the myth of the Three Graces, who symbolise the qualities of radiance, joy and abundance.

The film competition has three rounds running over seven months. There is a cash prize of €1,500 for each round and a grand prize of €3,500, which will be awarded in January 2009. Submissions will be judged by a prestigious panel of filmmakers and leading industry insiders.

The Three Graces

The Three Graces are Zeus’ daughters, Agalia, Euphrosyne and Thalia, who are said to embody radiance, abundance and joy. They’ve inspired artists from ancient history to the Renaissance and beyond. Their qualities mirror those of crystal itself, enchanting our souls, inspiring our dreams and lifting our mood. The myth of the Three Graces provides a window into crucial artistic questions about the dualities of poetry and industry, heart and head, art and science. It remains a potent source of inspiration.

We’ve commissioned three of our own films from Jamie Isaia, Bella Howard and the Parisian art collective AS/EC – to work with exclusive tracks by Au Revoir Simone, Metronomy and Giant Drag to kick-off proceedings for the microsite’s launch.  Our films will not be entered as part of the competition and are on the site to inspire and entice.

The Soundtrack

We’ve worked with three great artists to produce three exclusive tracks - available for download from the microsite to use as soundtracks to the films.  Filmmakers are welcome to use their own music for the soundtrack as long as they hold the relevant copyright clearances.

Au Revoir Simone, “The Lucky One” (exclusive remix)

Brooklyn-based Au Revoir Simone are Erika Forster (keyboards, vocals), Annie Hart (keyboards, vocals) and Heather D’Angelo (drum machines, keyboard, vocals). They harbour a deep-seated love of keyboards, obviously, and vintage drum machines. They have toured with We Are Scientists and Peter, Bjorn and John, and their full-length debut, The Bird of Music, was released on Moshi Moshi earlier this year.

Metronomy, “Crystals”

Driven by visionary frontman Joseph Mount, Metronomy emerged under the nu-rave banner alongside Klaxons and went on to enjoy enduring critical and commercial success. Their debut album, Pip Paine (Pay The £5000 You Owe) was an underground smash and will be followed by Nights Out this summer. They have remixed the likes of Sébastien Tellier, Architecture in Helsinki, Franz Ferdinand, the Young Knives, Ladytron and Gorillaz and toured with CSS, Kate Nash, Foals and Justice.

Giant Drag, “Stuff to Live For”

Los Angeles-based singer/songwriter/guitarist Annie Hardy is the creative force behind Giant Drag. She carries on the fine noise/grunge tradition of My Bloody Valentine and PJ Harvey. Giant Drag has released one album, Hearts and Unicorns on Kickball/Interscope, and has toured with the Jesus and Mary Chain, Scissor Sisters and the Lemonheads. Hardy is working on a new album slated for release this year.

All you have to do now is visit www.tankthreegracesfilms.com, sign up, read the terms and download the exclusive tracks. You can upload up to 10 entries, each of which needs to be no more than five minutes long.

The deadline for the first round of entries is August 25, 2008.

TANK
2nd Floor
Princess House
50-60 Eastcastle Street
London W1W 8EA

Tel +44 20 7323 3475
Fax +44 20 76314280

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information intended only for the
person(s) named.  any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any other person is
strictly prohibited.
If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and then
destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message, that
do not relate to the official business of tank publications ltd. shall be understood to be
neither given nor endorsed by the company.
When addressed to tank publications ltd., any information contained in this e-mail is
subject to the terms and conditions in the governing client contract.

This message has been scanned by MailController.