mason dixon on Wed, 21 May 2008 19:18:47 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Fwd: [DASH] CHArt 2008 Conference - CALL FOR PAPERS - Deadline 30 May 2008

.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Hazel Gardiner <hazel.gardiner@kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, May 6, 2008 at 3:52 AM
Subject: [DASH] CHArt 2008 Conference - CALL FOR PAPERS - Deadline 30 May 2008
To: DASH@jiscmail.ac.uk

CALL FOR PAPERS – DEADLINE 30 MAY 2008

Dear Colleagues,

This is just a reminder that the deadline to submit a proposal for a paper
for the CHArt 2008 conference approaches.  Don't forget to email your
proposal by 30 May!

SEEING... VISION AND PERCEPTION IN A DIGITAL CULTURE

CHArt (Computers and the History of Art) 2008 Conference

Thursday 6 - Friday 7 November 2008 (central London venue to be confirmed)

This year's CHArt conference takes seeing as its theme and the associated
questions of vision, perception, visibility and invisibility, blindness and
insight - all in the context of our contemporary digital culture in which
our eyes are assaulted by ever greater amounts of visual stimulus, while we
are also increasingly being surveyed, on a continual basis.

What does it mean to see and be seen nowadays? How have advances in
neuroscience or developments in technology altered our understanding of
vision and perception? What kind of visual spaces do we now inhabit? What
new kinds of visual experiences are now available? And what are now lost or
no longer possible? How does the increasing digitalisation of media affect
the experience of seeing? What and who might be rendered invisible by the
processes of digital culture? What are our current digital culture's
blindspots? What are its politics of seeing?

For the twenty-forth CHArt conference we are looking for papers that reflect
upon these issues.  We welcome contributions from all sections  of the CHArt
community: art historians, artists, architects and architectural theorists
and historians, curators, museum professionals, scientists, cultural and
media theorists, archivists, technologists, software developers,
educationalists, philosophers and any others who have a stake in the
question of seeing in a digital culture.

Please email a three to four hundred word synopsis of the proposed paper
with brief CV of presenter/s by 30 May 2008 to Hazel Gardiner
(hazel.gardiner@kcl.ac.uk).

CHArt (www.chart.ac.uk)
c/o Centre for Computing in the Humanities
Kings College, University of London
26 – 29 Drury Lane
London
WC2B 5RL