Sue Edworthy - Artscape on Wed, 21 May 2008 19:17:35 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Green Arts Barns: April 30 Email Update

.

APRIL 30, 2008 EDITION

The Green Arts Barns Update provides ongoing information on the redevelopment of the historic Wychwood TTC streetcar repair barns located at Wychwood and Benson Avenues in Toronto. Opening in the Fall of 2008, the barns will be transformed into the Green Arts Barns, a 60,000 sq. ft. multi-tenant arts and environmental centre run by and for the community. Future updates on construction progress, funding news, calls for applications, special events and community opportunities related to the Green Arts Barns will be sent out through this email update on an regular basis.

To subscribe to the Green Arts Barns Update, email
subscribe@torontoartscape.on.ca with the words 'Green Arts Barns Community' in the subject line. Please be Green and only print what you need.

IN THIS UPDATE

• CONSTRUCTION UPDATE

GIVE THE GIFT OF THE GREEN ARTS BARNS

RELATED COMMUNITY NEWS
- Planet in Focus Wins Green Toronto Award

TENANTING UPDATE

ORGANIZATIONAL TENANT HAPPENINGS
- Cahoots Theatre Projects presents This Is Our Crossing and The Madness of The Square

- Theatre Direct presents Sanctuary Song

- Women's Healthy Environments Network presents What Does A 'Healthy Environment' Look Like?

- B Current presents rock.paper.sistahs7

CONSTRUCTION UPDATE
Winter and its record breaking snowfalls are over and the finishing touches are going on all the roofs. This will allow the work to go ahead rapidly in all four barns. The Studio Barn has almost all of its mechanical and electrical infrastructure in place and the drywall teams are about to begin their work partitioning the Live/Work and Work-Only studios. The framing has begun in the Community Barn with infrastructure to follow. The greenhouse skylight has been completed in the Green Barn and the extensive glazing on the south side has begun. The following shows some photos taken in the past few weeks showing recent construction progress.

 Studio Barn
26 Live/Work Studios, 15 Work Studios, and Community Gallery:
South facing elevation at Wychwood Avenue of the Studio Barn (below left) and east facing elevation near the corner of Benson Avenue and Christie Street (below centre) showing window and door frames. The cinder block construction will be faced soon with recycled bricks (below right).

Covered Street Barn
Community Animation Space: A section of wall in the Community Barn with original TTC safety signs.

 Community Barn / Green Barn / Barn 5

The white roofing membrane that is typical of all the roofs. It is ENERGY STAR® compliant and environmentally friendly because it reduces the heat island effect created by standard black roofs, asphalt parking lots, etc. The framing of studio spaces - offices for arts and environmental organizations - on the 2nd floor of the Community Barn. Greenhouse skylight assembly on The Stop Green Barn.

 ▲ Wall inside the Green Barn and columns from Barn 5.
Photos: Chris Higgins, Artscape

A mason preparing the brick wall to receive windows between the Community Garden in the Green Barn and the Community Barn.

GIVE THE GIFT OF THE GREEN ARTS BARNS
Raising the Barns
Thank you to those who have continued to support the Green Arts Barns campaign. We provided you with several opportunities to get involved and you rose to the occasion helping us to come closer to reaching our $20 million fundraising goal for completing the Green Arts Barns.

You can make a donation directly to the Green Arts Barns campaign by visiting our givings pages on CanadaHelps at www.canadahelps.org/CharityProfilePage.aspx?CharityID=s90504. Or you can make a donation by contacting Elizabeth Dalgleish, Manager of Development at elizabeth@torontoartscape.on.ca or 416-392-1038 x29.

RELATED COMMUNITY NEWS
We've added a new section to the Green Arts Barns Update where local community projects, events and opportunities that relate to the spirit of the Barns will be posted. Space is limited so please contact Sue Edworthy, Artscape's Marketing Manager if you have a posting you would like included in the next Green Arts Barns Update. Sue can be reached at sue@torontoartscape.on.ca or 416-392-1038 x45.

Planet in Focus Wins Green Toronto Award
Planet in Focus has been awarded a Green Toronto Award in the environmental awareness category by the City of Toronto and Toronto Hydro. The Green Toronto Awards were presented Friday, April 25 at the Green Living Show, Exhibition Place, Toronto, Ontario.

"This award acknowledges that we are making a difference in our community," said Planet in Focus Artistic Director Candida Paltiel. "The environmental stories that local, national and international filmmakers have to tell capture the hearts and minds of our audience."

Planet in Focus was nominated in the Leadership category in 2006 and was thrilled to be nominated in 2007. The other finalists in the environmental awareness category included: Cathy Nesbitt of Cathy’s Composters and greenTbiz. Mayor David Miller and Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone were on hand to present the awards. Award winners are given $5000 to be presented to a charity of their choice.

Planet in Focus produces Canada’s most acclaimed international environmental film and video festival, and the 9th Annual Festival will run from October 22-26, in Toronto. This year’s Spotlight Program is on Food: The Big Picture, showing films from around the world examining a wide range of issues on this most timely topic. The festival will include panel discussions and an exploration of the global food crisis. Visit www.planetinfocus.org for more information.

Planet in Focus are currently tenants in the Case Goods Warehouse at the Distillery and will be moving into the Community Barn at the Green Arts Barns.

TENANTING UPDATE
Artscape would like to thank all artists who applied for the Green Arts Barns Work Studio and RGI Live/Work Studio spaces. A Tenant Selection Committee composed of current Artscape tenants, Artscape Board members and members of the local and artistic communities will be assessing all applications from individual artists applying for Work Studios. After reviewing all eligible applications, the Tenant Selection Committee will schedule interviews with prospective Work Studio tenants. Successful Work Studio applicants will be notified of their tenancy by late May.

Artscape’s Tenant Advisory Committee, which is comprised of current tenants and Artscape Board members, will review all applications for RGI Live/Work Studios with successful RGI Live/Work Studio applicants being notified by mid April of their tenancy.

ORGANIZATIONAL TENANT HAPPENINGS
As our construction crews continue to physically build and restore the Green Arts Barns, our future arts and environmental tenants are already starting to build the sense of community that will contribute to the overall creative energy of the project.

Cahoots Theatre Projects
This Is Our Crossing
at the National CrossCurrents Festival

Location: Factory Studio Theatre, 125 Bathurst Street at Adelaide
Date:
May 3, 2008
Times: 7:00 pm showtime followed by a FREE reception

For more information, contact: info@cahoots.ca / 416-203-9000

Cahoots Theatre Projects presents ëthis is our crossing’, a collective-creation piece from our program for refugee and newcomer youth Crossing Gibraltar. This youth-directed ensemble brings together graduates from previous Crossing Gibraltar programs, encouraging their artistic _expression_ to the next level in the creation of a new play addressing newcomer challenges. ëthis is our crossing’ will also tour to newcomer centres across the city accompanied by arts workshops.

Spanning the first year of a newcomer, the Crossing Gibraltar youth take us through the highs and lows of their arrivals and as the seasons change, how they learn to live, love, cope and dream in Canada.

Writer: Marjorie Chan
Created and Performed: Crossing Gibraltar
Director: Ulla Laidlaw
Designer: Anna Treusch
Stage Manager: Deborah A. Catriona

This Is Our Crossing Rehearsal

Cahoots Theatre Projects The Madness of the Square

Cahoots’ Artists are participating in the National CrossCurrents festival withMarjorie Chan’s
The Madness of the Square

Location: Factory Studio Theatre, 125 Bathurst Street at Adelaide
Date: May 10, 2008 Times: 8:00 pm

For more information, contact: www.factorytheatre.ca/crosscurrents.htm

The Madness of the Square is an invigorating play inspired by the Tiananmen Square Massacre in 1989. Using traditional choral techniques and new video technologies, the play tells the story of four friends caught up in the student demonstrations of Tiananmen Square. The Square tests their friendships, beliefs and resolve. As spring turns to summer, the temperatures and tensions rise, until inevitably the government of China must respond, with drastic and tragic consequences.

Writer: Marjorie Chan Director: Ruth Madoc-Jones

Cahoots Theatre Projects is dedicated to the creation, development and production of new Canadian plays that reflect our cultural diversity. It is committed to theatrical work that probes the complexities of our individual identities and our social relationships with writers and plays that get to the heart of what it means to live, work, play, love and dream in contemporary Canadian culture. Cahoots Theatre Projects is looking forward to becoming part of the St. Clair/Bathurst community with professional theatre and community programming! www.cahoots.ca

Theatre Direct presents Sanctuary Song

Dates: Public Preview: June 6, 7:00pm; Public Performances: June 7, 1:00pm (World Premiere with Post-Show Reception); June 8, 2:00pm and 6:30pm; June 11, 12 and 13, 7:00pm; June 14, 2:00pm and 7:00pm; School Performances: June 10, 11 and 12, 12:30pm

Tapestry and Theatre Direct present a world premiere in partnership with Luminato, Toronto’s Festival of Arts & Creativity. Sanctuary Song has its world premiere June 7, 2008 at 1pm at The Berkeley Street Theatre Downstairs, running until June 14.

Sometimes the most beautiful friendships come in unusual sizes...

A remarkable 22-year friendship culminates in a promise of freedom fulfilled and a joyful reunion when, after decades in captivity, an Asian elephant is brought to sanctuary.

Along the journey, her memories of childhood in the jungle, circus life and her solitary days in the zoo come alive through the emotional power of opera, evocative dance and stunning design.

"No more circuses. No more zoos...You will be free!"

Inspired by a true story, Sanctuary Song is the result of a dynamic collaboration between two award-winning Toronto companies who come together to tell a story from the point of view of a most unusual protagonist.

An unforgettable opera for all ages.

"I was not the first to put a chain on you. But I promise, I promise I’ll be the last."

SANCTUARY SONG
Location: The Berkeley Street Theatre, Downstairs, 26 Berkeley St., Toronto (Berkeley south of Front Street)
Contact: Box Office 416-368-3110, Theatre Direct:
www.theatredirect.ca  / www.sanctuarysong.ca

Composer: Abigail Richardson Writer: Marjorie Chan Music Director: Wayne Strongman Director: Lynda Hill Original Set & Costume Design: Kelly Wolf Original Lighting Design: Andrea Lundy Original Video Design: Luisa Quintavalle Choreography: Viv Moore Stage Manager: Kathryn Westoll Cast: Xin Wang (soprano), Alvin Crawford (bass) with Sharmila Dey & Frank Cox O’Connell Orchestra: Michael Schulte (violin), Lizzie Lavado (piano), Ryan Scott (percussion)

For over 30 years, Theatre Direct has engaged young people through compelling, inventive and uncompromising professional theatre for young audiences. With our unique focus on the balance of artistic and education excellence, we are considered leaders in theatre in education in Ontario. In its new home at the Green Arts Barns, Theatre Direct Canada will create a dynamic yet intimate 100 seat professional theatre and arts education studio devoted exclusively to work that serves young people. This 2,000 square foot studio will house performances of our productions as well as workshops, educational initiatives and rehearsals while also being available for rental companies or individuals for programming that is child and youth centered. www.theatredirect.on.ca

Women's Healthy Environments Network
What Does A 'Healthy Environment' Look Like?

Friday, May 2, 2008, 6:00 - 8:00pm
www.womenshealthyenvironments.ca

Life, Money & Illusion
Living on the Earth as if We Want to Stay

Have you ever thought: if the world were to change for the better, what would it look like? What would it take to get from here to there?

Have you ever thought: where will the current direction of human development lead us? Is it sustainable? Is it feasible?
What can we do, as individuals, as communities?

Join us for an evening of discussion and refreshments with Donna Dillman and Mike Nickerson, author of Life, Money & Illusion and A Question of Direction.

Participants: Mike Nickerson, sustainability activist, Donna Dillman, uranium activist
Contact: 416-928-0880 /
www.womenshealthyenvironments.ca

The Women’s Healthy Environments Network (WHEN) holds regular workshop-screenings of two films it distributes, Exposure: Environmental Links to Breast Cancer and Toxic Trespass: How Safe are Your Children? WHEN also promotes environmental health policy change and fosters exchanges about environmental activism. WHEN will engage in a mutually beneficial relationship with other Green Arts Barns tenants. www.womenshealthyenvironments.ca

Flyer designed by Catherine Hernandez

B Current presents rock.paper.sistahz7

Dates: May 1 - 31, 7 events, 7 venues. Hours for each event will vary (see below). www.bcurrent.ca

Seven Venues. Seven main events. Seven years in the making. What began as a humble dream is now the seven-year strong Rock.Paper.Sistahz 7 festival, full of a vibrant lineup of artists, performances and events.

Like the rock.paper.scissors hand game, this new works arts event invites the audience to take a chance and plunge into a seriously creative dare, riddled with play excerpts, workshop presentations, staged readings and works from other artistic disciplines.

rock.paper.sistahz has been pushing the envelope by developing and presenting fresh material, performance styles and ideas over the past six years!! Join us in the celebrations!!

FESTIVAL DATES:
Wednesday, May 7 @ 6:30pm
- festival launch and installation party. b current office, 720 Bathurst Street, Suite 402 (Bathurst, just south of Bloor).

Thursday May 8, 15, 22 @ 4:30pm - Film OUR: past the corn - a film & video series. Maria A. Shchuka Library, 1745 Eglinton Avenue W. (east of Dufferin on the south side of Eglinton).

Monday, May 12 & 19 @ 7:30pm - Play Readings. 720 Café (Toronto Sprouts) - 720 Bathurst Street (Bathurst, just south of Bloor).

Saturday, May 17 @ 3:30pm - Next Generation Cooks, an afternoon of creating food and fun from around the world; hosted by 7 year old cooks and their TVO Kids guest performers. Loblaws Forest Hill Cook Centre, 396 St. Clair Avenue West (Bathurst & St. Clair at St. Clair Station).

Friday, May 23 @ 8pm - sistahz sAy! walk good. A night of literary sistahz ëbridging the gap’ with queer writings and commentary; presented in conjunction with the A is for Orange Writers Group. The Palmerston Library Theatre Space, 560 Palmerston Avenue (Palmerston, 2 blocks west of Bathurst, south of Bloor).

Saturday, May 24 - sistahz in the mix. Performance and jam concert (dance, spoken word, deejays & much, much music). Revival, 783 College Street (southeast corner of College & Shaw).

Thursday, May 29 - Saturday, May 31@ 8pm - who/new 7§ shows -->past, present and future theatre works. Theatre Passe Muraille Backspace, 16 Ryerson Avenue (1 block east of Bathurst, north of Queen).

Saturday, May 31 @ 10:30pm - latenite festival wrap party. Theatre Passe Muraille Mainspace, 16 Ryerson Avenue (1 block east of Bathurst, north of Queen).

b current is a not-for-profit arts company based in the heart of Toronto/Canada. We present and support performance works emerging from the Canadian and international Black Diaspora. By combining everyday cultural elements and practices with artistic and technical forms, we will be bringing pertinent and exciting artists and their creations into the Green Arts Barns. www.bcurrent.ca

You can find out more about the Green Arts Barns by visiting Artscape's website at www.torontoartscape.on.ca/barns

This email is part of Artscape's regular communication series to colleagues, friends and supporters. Please excuse any duplication. We respect your privacy - your email address will not be shared with outside groups.

To unsubscribe: reply by return email with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

This message sent to you by Artscape
You can change your communication preferences.