Paul Brown on Sat, 29 Mar 2008 22:09:06 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> cfp: CHArt 2008 Conference - Seeing... Vision and Perception in a Digital Culture

.
Please forward to colleagues, students and appropriate lists

- CALL FOR PAPERS - CALL FOR PAPERS - CALL FOR PAPERS -

SEEING... VISION AND PERCEPTION IN A DIGITAL CULTURE

CHArt (Computers and the History of Art) 2008 Conference

Thursday 6 - Friday 7 November 2008 (central London venue to be confirmed)

This year's CHArt conference takes seeing as its theme and the associated questions of vision, perception, visibility and invisibility, blindness and insight - all in the context of our contemporary digital culture in which our eyes are assaulted by ever greater amounts of visual stimulus, while we are also increasingly being surveyed, on a continual basis.

What does it mean to see and be seen nowadays? How have advances in neuroscience or developments in technology altered our understanding of vision and perception? What kind of visual spaces do we now inhabit? What new kinds of visual experiences are now available? And what are now lost or no longer possible? How does the increasing digitalisation of media affect the experience of seeing? What and who might be rendered invisible by the processes of digital culture? What are our current digital culture's blindspots? What are its politics of seeing?

For the twenty-forth CHArt conference we are looking for papers that reflect upon these issues.  We welcome contributions from all sections of the CHArt community: art historians, artists, architects and architectural theorists and historians, curators, museum professionals, scientists, cultural and media theorists, archivists, technologists, software developers, educationalists, philosophers and any others who have a stake in the question of seeing in a digital culture.

Please email a three to four hundred word synopsis of the proposed paper with brief CV of presenter/s by30 May 2008 to Hazel Gardiner (hazel.gardiner@kcl.ac.uk).

c/o Centre for Computing in the Humanities
Kings College, University of London
26 – 29 Drury Lane
London
WC2R 3DX

- CALL FOR PAPERS - CALL FOR PAPERS -  CALL FOR PAPERS –

Hazel Gardiner
Senior Project Officer
AHRC ICT Methods Network
Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London
WC2 5RL

+44 020 7848 2013

====
Paul Brown - based in OZ Dec 07 - Apr 08
OZ Landline +61 (0)7 5443 3491 == USA fax +1 309 216 9900
OZ Mobile +61 (0)419 72 74 85 == Skype paul-g-brown
====
Visiting Professor - Sussex University
====