okno on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:17:59 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [OKNO] announcing code31 open studio / 3-6 dec 07 / wireless sensor networks

.
Announcing :: Open Studio :: mesh networks - sensor networks ::

Code31 is setting up a week of exploration. Trying out the hivenetworks' soft- and hardware for the use in wireless-sensor-networks.
> "Hivenetworks is an Open Source project that explores the new
> concepts of DIY network building, mesh architectures and ubiquitous
> computing. The aim is to take the DIY networking and publishing to
> the point where it becomes accessible to anyone with creative mind
> and basic knowledge of computing." (http://hivenetworks.net)

Our intention is to explore the field of wireless sensor network technologies. The Hivenetworks' technology seems very well fitted to set up a system for environmental monitoring. We'll research on the potential of this specific wireless technology, trying and testing the scripts prepared by Hive (london) to transmit sensor data (sounds, webcam, arduino,...) over a wireless network  (using the brussels' city-wide network "reseaucitoyen" as ultimate goal to integrate into).

Our broader aim is to start an overview of which technology is feasible, depending of the physical scale of the installation / energy sources available/ cost / amount of hacking & time you want to spend into it & bandwidth needed ;  (a next workshop in this series is planned 21-25th January 2008)

Everybody is free to join, at any time : the workshop is set-up as an open studio.
We're avail online using IRC  /server irc.freenode.net   /channel #code31
( irc://irc.freenode.net/code31 )

From dec 3rd until dec 6th
at OKNO headquarters - Koolmijnenkaai 30-34 quai des charbonnages - 1030 BXL

More : http://code31.lahaag.org

- - - - -

xmedk-workshop series is a collaboration between okno, foam and nadine / supported by the VAF (vlaams audiovisueel fonds)