Honor Harger on Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:34:15 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> AV Festival 08 - Broadcast - call for proposals

.
AV FESTIVAL 08 - FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT

SNEAK PREVIEW & CALL FOR PROPOSALS

AV Festival 08
http://www.avfestival.co.uk/
Newcastle, Gateshead, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, UK

First deadline for proposals: 15 October 2007
http://www.avfestival.co.uk/opportunities

AV Festival is an international festival of electronic arts, featuring visual art, music and moving image. A biennial event, the festival takes place in Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland and Middlesbrough in the North East of England. The next AV Festival will be held 28 February - 8 March 2008.

The theme of AV Festival 08 is Broadcast.

This October, the BBC begin to switch off analogue television signals in the UK, paving the way for television to become entirely digital. At the same time as this profound change in our experience of broadcasting takes place, the internet and mobile networks have created opportunities for us to 'broadcast ourselves' in entirely new ways. As the landscape of broadcasting changes irrevocably, AV Festival 08 will be a catalyst for debate about the future of broadcasting, and an event to celebrate a century of on-air and online transmission.

AV Festival 08 will include internationally renowned artists, filmmakers, researchers and musicians as well as emerging practitioners. It will feature:
- New commissions of art, music and moving image
- Open Air: an outdoor programme of events
- Concerts & Performances
- Exhibitions in galleries and museums
- A moving image programme
- FM Radio Stations
- Club events and parties
- An industry debate
- Seminars, conferences and talks
- Workshops

We will be making a full announcement about the festival theme and some aspects of the programme mid October.

___AV Festival 08: getting involved

AV Festival 08 is providing creative practitioners with an opportunity to contribute ideas to the programme. In the next two months, we will announce a series of opportunities for artists, musicians, filmmakers, DJs, VJs, designers, theorists, technologists, scientists, philosophers and others to contribute to the festival.

The first of these opportunities is a call for proposals for a site-specific audio art commission at the Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens. The fee is GBP5000. If you have an idea for a new work which responds to our theme and the context of the Winter Gardens, we would like to hear about it. See below for more details.

In the coming weeks, we will also call for proposals from artists and producers who want to get involved with our radio stations, filmmakers who want to create a new work for the festival, and critics and philosophers who want to contribute to our conferences.

___AV Festival 08: call for proposals

AV Festival will commission new work especially for the festival, as well as present creative work which has already been produced.

We are now calling for proposals from artists or musicians for a new site-specific audio artwork for the Sunderland Winter Gardens. Experienced artists are invited to submit original ideas for a work that responds to both the festival's theme and the unique environment of the Winter Gardens.

The fee for this commission is GBP 5000.

Artists wishing to submit a proposal must download the brief for this commission from the AV Festival website, read the guidelines and send a proposal by email.

DEADLINE: 15 October 2007
DOWNLOAD BRIEF: http://www.avfestival.co.uk/opportunities/
EMAIL PROPOSALS TO: michelle@avfestival.co.uk

We will announce further calls for proposals for other parts of the
programme in the coming weeks. If you want to be kept informed of future opportunities, please subscribe to our mailing list by filling up the sign up box on www.avfestival.co.uk

___AV Festival 08: joining our team

Over the coming weeks, we will be inviting tenders from freelance individuals, or companies, who want to get involved in the production of AV Festival 08. We are now inviting tenders for the first of these contracts: AV Festival Programme Manager, Middlesbrough.
We are also inviting proposals for several paid placements for exceptional young people.
There are more details about all these opportunities at: http://www.avfestival.co.uk/opportunities

___AV Festival: the story so far

The AV Festival is run by an independent charitable company called Audio Visual Arts North East.

AV Festival has run two successful festivals thus far. The first was
held 18 - 22 November 2003 and consisted of over one hundred events across three towns in two weeks. It included new a newly commissioned film by The Light Surgeons which aired on BBC Television, screenings of Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle, a Mike Figgis film retrospective, a world premiere by Peter Greenaway, new work by Richard Fenwick, performances by the Cinematic Orchestra, DJ Food, Tina Frank and General Magic, onedotzero screenings and a lively programme of workshops and lectures. The archived AV Festival 03 website can be found at:
http://www.avfest.co.uk/03/new/index2.html

The second AV Festival - LifeLike took place in over 25 venues from 2-12 March 2006. Over 10 days, AV delivered over 90 events in 3 urban centres. Curatorially, AV Festival 06 investigated life sciences. It featured challenging new work by Michael Nyman, Neil Bromwich & Zoe Walker, D-Fuse, Carsten Nicolai, and many others. It included 15 ambitious new commissions from artists, filmmakers and musicians such as Ryoji Ikeda, Ken Rinaldo, Andy Gracie and Anthony McCall, Gina
Czarnecki, UMAMi, Time's Up, :zoviet*france:, Suguru Goto and others.
The archived AV Festival 06 website can be found at:
http://www.avfest.co.uk/06/

___AV Festival 08: supporters

AV Festival 08 is organised by Audio Visual Arts North East, an independent charitable company.

AV Festival 08 forms part of NewcastleGateshead's world-class festivals and events programme managed by culture10, based at NewcastleGateshead Initiative.

AV Festival 08 is supported by Arts Council England, North East, Newcastle City Council, Gateshead Council, ONE NorthEast, Middlesbrough Council, Sunderland City Council, Tyneside Cinema, Northern Film & Media, UK Film Council.

___AV Festival 08: partnership network

AV Festival has developed close working relationships with some of the region's key cultural organisations. Our past or current partners include:
- University of Teesside, Middlesbrough: http://www.tees.ac.uk
- Tyneside Cinema, Newcastle: http://www.tynecine.org
- Arts Development, Middlesbrough Council
- Arts Development, Sunderland City Council
- The Sage Gateshead, Gateshead : http://www.thesagegateshead.org/
- Forma, Newcastle: http://www.forma.org.uk
- Alt-Gallery, Newcastle: http://www.altgallery.org
- Discovery Museum, Newcastle: www.twmuseums.org.uk/discovery
- Hatton Gallery, Newcastle: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/hatton
- Centre for Life, Newcastle: http://www.life.org.uk
- NO-FI, Newcastle: http://www.no-fi.org.uk
- Isis Arts, Newcastle: http://www.isisarts.org.uk
- Codeworks: http://www.codeworks.net
- CultureLab: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/niassh/culturelab
- Star & Shadow Cinema, Newcastle: http://www.sidecinema.com
- Polytechnic, Newcastle: http://ptechnic.org
- Name, Newcastle: http://www.name-site.com
- Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens:
- http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/sunderland
- National Glass Centre, Sunderland: http://www.nationalglasscentre.com
- Northern Gallery for Contemporary Art Sunderland: http://www.ngca.co.uk
- Reg Vardy Gallery, Sunderland: http://www.regvardygallery.org/
- CRUMB, Sunderland: http://www.crumbweb.org
- /sLab, Sunderland: http://www.slab.uk.net/
- University of Sunderland: http://www.sunderland.ac.uk
- Washington Arts Centre, Sunderland
- mima, Middlesbrough: http://www.mima.uk.com
- Empire, Middlesbrough: http://www.theempire.co.uk
- Kino Cinema, Middlesbrough: http://www.tenfeettall.co.uk/kino
- Cleveland College of Art & Design, Middlesbrough: http://www.ccad.ac.uk
- UMAMi, Newcastle: http://www.umami.tv
- Dance City, Newcastle: http://www.dancecity.co.uk
- White Hot Communications, Newcastle: http://www.whitehotcomms.co.uk
- Velcrobelly, Newcastle: http://www.velcrobelly.co.uk
- Waygood Gallery, Newcastle: http://www.waygood.org

___AV Festival 08: contacts

For more information contact:

AV Festival
c/o Tyneside Cinema at Gateshead Old Town Hall
West Street
Gateshead
NE8 1HE
UK
Tel: +44 (0)191 2328289, ext 112
Email: info@avfestival.co.uk
http://www.avfestival.co.uk/

AV Festival is run by Audio Visual Arts North East. A Company Limited by Guarantee. Registered in England No 06141603. Registered Charity Number 1120368. Registered Office: c/o Tyneside Cinema at Gateshead Old Town Hall, West Street, Gateshead, NE8 1HE, UK.