Heather Haynes- Toronto Free Gallery on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:53:03 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Enter-gration at Toronto Free Gallery.

.
Title: Enter-gration at Toronto Free Gallery.

Toronto Free Gallery presents:

Enter-gration curated by Nahed Mansour

Fado Performance Inc., in cooperation with Toronto Free Gallery, is pleased to announce the latest installment of its ongoing Emerging Artists series Join us March 1 - 4 as local performance artists explore immigration issues in Enter-gration at Toronto Free Gallery.

North America is increasingly joining global debates on immigration as new racisms surface. Borders and boundaries are being redefined in the name of security, as movement is facilitated for some groups while others are excluded. The question is who benefits from this security regime? Who is left out? This event is a small step to building our collective awareness of the demands of movement, expectations of submission, and the struggle to fulfill challenges faced by millions with precarious status daily.

Curator Nahed Mansour writes: Crossing the border into North-American society is not a simple act for immigrants and refugees. [“It should be hard! We need safety! How else are we going to know who’s coming into our country?”] In curating Enter-gration, I’m trying to break down these well-worn myths. [“Why?”] I intend to explore ways in which integration through assimilation is a tactic aimed to make visible minorities invisible. [“But we have multiculturalism, don’t we?”].

Enter-gration
March 1, 7 - 9 pm
Bojana Videkanic: Crossing Borders/Crossing Bodies
Jesus Mora: Illegal Migration

March 2, 7 - 9 pm
Rachel Gorman: Transit
Tejpal S. Ajji: Suhbuhk [Lesson]

March 3, 4 - 8 pm
Idil Mussa: Knot
Reena Katz: Order to Remedy

March 4, 2 - 5 pm
Rita Kamacho : Urban Meditations
Karilynn Ming Ho: Cowboy BeBop (Ode To My Daddy)

Toronto Free Gallery
660 Queen Street East
2blks west of Broadview
416-913-0461