Alan Sondheim on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:00:43 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> new perforations (fwd)

.

Public Domain, Inc. is pleased to announce the call for PERFORATIONS 29. Guest editor for this issue will be Dr. Thomas Mical, Carleton University School of Architecture.

As usual with perforations, deadlines are somewhat fluid but please
notify Dr. Mical or Robert Cheatham of your intent by February 15
2007 in order to be included in the release notification.

Article length is at your discretion. Experimental hypertexts are
especially welcome. Other forms of media, video, etc., may have
length restrictions, please cc media editor Chea Prince or technical
editor, Jim Demmers.

If you have any questions please query one of the editors.

       -------------------------------------

Guest Editor:
         Dr. Thomas Mical
                  thomas_mical@carleton.ca

Senior Editor:
          Robert Cheatham
                   zeug@pd.org

Technical Editor
           Jim Demmers
                   Jdemmers@pd.org

Media Editor:
           Chea Prince
                   Chea@pd.org

Hauntologies, or Spectral Space
Call for Submissions

This issue of Perforations asks for informed speculations in art,
literature, architecture, and aesthetics concerning the ethereal
others which are never quite present or absent : including uncanny
presences outside the frame of representation, anamorphic blurs of
concepts or images; leaking, stained, or spectral spaces,
disappearing figures or soluble identities; of all that sometimes
works like miasmas, pneumas, and vapors; and all possible
manifestations of specters (real or imaginary). This includes
speculative revenants of repetitions of all sort including
catastrophic trauma (the spectral delays/deferrals of Freudian
'nachtraglichkeit') as well as any embeddings of notions of 'eternal
return,' as having hauntological portent for communities and thought
to come.

In its entirety, the issue seeks to selectively map an ephemeral
cartography (a haunto-topography) of the range of barely discernible
ghosts, these "ontological specks" or "pathological kernels", that
traverse the instrumental Cartesian worldview of "clear and distinct"
entities. Authors are asked to chase and capture the multiple
potential meanings and effects of their favorite ontological spectre.

Formed in 1991 to examine issues of theory, art, culture and
community in a saturated age of technical media, Perforations is
perhaps the longest continuously running journal on-line.

The call for perforations 30, HUT TECH, will be released soon.

Perforations raison d'tre here:
http://www.pd.org/~chea/Perforations/perf1/perf-intro.html

Perforations index page:
http://www.pd.org/~chea/HTML/perforations-index.html

podcasts, videos, and other projects here:
http://www.pd.org

--

-------------------------------------- "No one's memory is safe from intruders, particularly if our belief that we are in control of our past gives birth to that intruder. We are in control of our past only to the extent that we do not think about it, which can't be done." Miroslav Kirin