Fran Taylor on Sun, 25 Dec 2005 16:50:54 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [edu] Centre for Modern Thought

.

To students seeking graduate/post-graduate programmes with a strong
theoretical commitment:

We would like to call your attention to the existence of a new research
centre at the University of Aberdeen that offers a unique context for
theoretically and philosophically oriented study.  The Centre for Modern

Thought aims to explore and carry forward the ground-breaking
intellectual
movements of the last century in the context of cross-disciplinary debate

framed by a strong reference to modern history and contemporary
socio-political issues.  We draw from programmes across the College of
Arts
and Social Sciences at Aberdeen, and we have significant funding from our

institution for high-profile appointments in political philosophy, theory

of art and media, intellectual history, science studies, and cultural and

literary theory. We aim to make the Centre for Modern Thought a hub for
contemporary thinking in an international context. We will invite some of

the most prominent intellectuals of our time to Aberdeen, and we will
host
colloquia on a wide range of topics including human rights, contemporary

architecture and urban planning, global ecology, and new political
thought.  At the same time, we will provide sustained training at the
highest level to students who seek to explore the foundations and
contexts
for contemporary thinking.

The Centre offers an M.Litt by Research (which gives students
considerable
flexibility to pursue independent research), and offers Ph.D. an
exceptional environment for their study. Students may also pursue an
M.Litt
in Comparative Literature and Thought.

Visit our website at
<http://www.abdn.ac.uk/modernthought>www.abdn.ac.uk/modernthought or, for

Comparative Literature, see
<http://www.abdn.ac.uk/sll/complit>www.abdn.ac.uk/sll/complit.  For
further
information contact Professor Christopher Fynsk
(<mailto:enl290@abdn.ac.uk>enl290@abdn.ac.uk).