Jordan Crandall on Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:39:39 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [edu] UCSD

.

University of California, San Diego, Department of Visual Arts, is
currently
accepting applications to its MFA program in Visual Arts and its PhD
program
in Art History, Theory & Criticism. Within the MFA program, students may
focus on digital media art, and within the PhD program they may focus on
digital theory and criticism.

Rated as one of the top graduate program in new media arts in the U.S.,
our program is also among the largest, with eight full-time faculty. It
is
also one of the oldest: we started teaching computer art in 1973. Today
our
research interests and teaching cover the full range of areas in digital
arts, including net art, software and generative art, online and live
performance, distributed virtual worlds, computer games, net activism
and
tactical media, critical engineering, media installation, digital
cinema,
location based media. We also have a very strong commitment to theory and
number of our faculty are known for their critical writing as well as
their
art projects.

Since the new media track exists within the larger framework of the
Visual
Arts
Department with its thirty full-time faculty, graduate students benefit
from
access to top studio artists, media artists, art and media historians
teaching in the same department. We have close relationships with a
number
of faculty in the Music department working on computer music, as well as
top
artists and critics teaching in other new media programs in Southern
California. The additional unique resources available on campus to
support
faculty and student research include CRCA (Center for Research in
Computing
and the Arts) and CAL-IT(2) (California Institute for Telecommunication
and
Information Technology). CAL-IT(2)'s new building, which opens in the
Spring
of
2005, features one of the best set of research labs and technical
resources
for digital arts work internationally - a unique context and capacity to
combine
interdisciplinary research in art and science and engineering - as well
as a
gallery,
screening rooms, and studios for visiting artists and graduate students
and
faculty.

Further information and application procedures are available from:
http://visarts.ucsd.edu

----

UCSD Visual Arts Computing Faculty
Amy Alexander          Adriene Jenik
Sheldon Brown          Natalie Jerimijenko
Jordan Crandall        Lev Manovich
Ricardo Dominguez      Brett Stalbaum