Aarti on Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:59:35 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [site] Sarai.txt 2.4: CURRENT

.

Sarai.txt 2.4
15 November 2005 - 15 February, 2006
Also see: http://broadsheet.var.cc/blog for previous issues.
This issue of the broadsheet may be downloaded in pdf format at:
http://www.sarai.net/txt.htm

*CURRENT*

This broadsheet is to go to print in the next half-hour! This is the
perfect time to initiate a public self-reflection and in the process
share the making of the broadsheet. Like in a bus, they say, the best
stories are told when the passengera are just about to leave...

We begin with an initial idea, a "prism". This prism operates like a
very large, porous fish-net through which we begin searching for our
materials. Materials are primarily gathered from the research work that
occurs in Sarai, and through the community of researchers, seminars,
lists that surround us. Research at Sarai itself takes many final and
unfinished shapes, and is carried out through diverse sets of practices.
We draw from the intersection of these practices and the questions they
generate around themselves.

Once we gather material around the initial question, we set the question
aside for a while. Through a wiki and a list the materials go through
several rounds of revision and editing. Often, in working through them,
the materials urge us to consider a complexity of questions which the
initial prism does not capture. The intial question acquires new
registers, is sharpened and deepened.

In organising the material, we create "concept clusters" to build
lateral connections and associations. This involves working with texts
and images, and seeing what happens when they are juxtaposed, or nested,
or placed in opposition to, each other.

Different kinds of text-based content demand different formal renditions
and textual strategies. Similarly, images are not just design elements,
but a context in which to insert new forms of meaning and affect. The
poster is an attempt to create a game between us and the reader. It is a
very important convergent point between our arguments, and ways of
thinking about image and layout. The poster also acts as a refractor, as
a detour, as another way of approaching the material. The poster is the
broadsheet"s public inscription on the surfaces of the city.

---------------------

Content of the text version:
(Does not include the poster and images)

SIDE 01

- The Trickster
(Translated by Shveta Sarda, from the 'Dastan-e-Amir Hamza', performed
by Mahmood U.R. Farooqui at the Sarai Independent Fellowship Workshop,
26 August 2005, Delhi)

SIDE 02

- Radio Kotina (Lokesh, Researcher, Publics and Practices in the History
of the Present project, Sarai-CSDS)
- Santosh Radio (Sadan Jha, Sarai-CSDS)
- Vani/Voice (Excerpted from 'The