Brian Thomas on Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:39:24 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [ann] world's longest running interactive project complete

Writing software for the Mac is like being an architect on a planet
where the laws of gravity change each year. Seventeen years of
building and expanding IF MONKS HAD MACS taught me that much. From
the first release of MONKS in 1988 I aimed to create a world as
engaging as the Macintosh itself -- a world that included games and
literary machines. Monks is a library of interactive art that
embraces the fight to take our culture back from corporate sponsorship.

When the Voyager Company released the first 24 volume color version
of MONKS on CD-ROM MacWeek declared the project, "A seminal work of
hypermedia art." I promised then to bring IF MONKS HAD MACS to the
Windows operating system. That was difficult but not as challenging
as building in the ever shifting gravitational field of OS X. I
remained engaged in the project by expanding it at every delay.

Now, at last, what must may be the longest running construction in
the history of new media is finished! While my work might be a legend
in the Mac world, I suspect that it is less than a rumor in the art
world. Now at its completion I'd like to invite any of you who are
interested to visit. MONKS is controversial, yet beautifully
illustrated, quick and deep.

For More information visit:

http://rivertext.com/

Brian