timothy murray on Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:14:16 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> [ann] Renate Ferro: Mining Memory

RENATE FERRO
PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Release

  Two multi-media installations from the Mining Memory series by
Renate Ferro are currently featured at the Schweinfurth Memorial Art
Center in Auburn, New York.  The annual show Made in NY 2005 on view
until August 28, 2005, features works by 46 artists from all over New
York State.

The first installation, Mining Memory: The Virtual Trunk features a
one channel video projected into a large antique trunk.  In the
beginning of the video the trunk opens and reveals an overstuffed,
virtual assemblage of collected objects from the past.  Over time
each of the objects slowly disappears before the viewer's eyes.  As
the objects disappear, a narrative is heard relating to the object
lost. The narratives address such issues as memory, trauma, and
feminism.

In the second installation, Mining Memory: The Cabinet, the drawers
of an antique cabinet are labeled with a Freudian construct such as
Ego, Fetishism, Maternal Identification, Narcissism, etc.  Within
each drawer is an assemblage of miniature objects that relate to the
construct.  On the top of the cabinet a two-channel video is
displayed on miniature LCD screens that screen digitized super 8
movies of the artist's childhood shot in the 1950's and 60's.  When
each drawer is pulled open, fragments of text on Freud by
contemporary theorists and feminists are revealed on the drawer
separations.  Also accompanying the piece is an independent audio
track recounting the  interiors of each of the drawers.

Mining Memory is an ongoing journey, a passage about the
re-collection of objects and their meaning. Over time we accumulate
objects by purchasing some, receiving others as gifts or perhaps even
finding others. At some point in time we find ourselves sorting
through our belongings.  The sorting process may coincide with a
major psychic event in our life.  Over time our archive of treasures
become associated with stories, recollections, and memory. What
interests Ferro particularly are how these personal stories may be a
part of others' recollections and how these intersecting stories,
recollections, memory become part of a collective history and world
memory.

Renate Ferro is a Visiting Assistant Professor of Art at Cornell
University in Ithaca, NY.   E-mail: rtf9@cornell.edu

The Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center is located at 205 Genesee St.,
Auburn, NY and the hours are Tuesday - Saturday, 10 am - 5 pm and
Sunday, 1 - 5 pm..  For more information call the Schweinfurth
Memorial Art Center at (315) 255-1553 or visit their website at
www.cayuganet.org/smac.