artclay@bluewin.ch on Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:13:13 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> [call] New Deadline for INTERACTIVE FUTURES September 30th.

INTERACTIVE FUTURES 06: Audio Visions
Victoria Independent Film and Video Festival - http://www.vifvf.com/
Parallel event - Digital Art Weeks, Summer 2006, Swiss Federal
Institute of Technology - http://www.jg.inf.ethz.ch/Group/Front
Conference hotel - Laurel Point Inn - http://www.laurelpoint.com/
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, Thurs Jan. 26 - Sun. Jan. 29, 2006.

*** NEW: DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30th, 2005 ***

CALL FOR PAPERS, PANELS, PERFORMANCES, & INSTALLATIONS

INTERACTIVE FUTURES is a forum for showing recent tendencies in new
media art as well as a conference for exploring issues related to
technology. The theme of this year's event is Audio Visions. IF06 will
explore new forms of audio-based media art from a diverse body of
artists, theorists, and sound practitioners. Sound poetry, web-based
audio and multimedia, mobile audio performance, new forms of music
theatre, synaesthetic performance, hybrid forms, sound-based
installation, video and sound, and environmental sound are all of
interest to Audio Visions.

The proliferation of audio technologies, audio-visual collaboration,
and hybrid forms of live performance in the new millennium is striking.
Audio artists are exploring the areas of mobility, virtuality,
performance, and audience interaction from an experimental
point-of-view. Audio Visions invites scholars, sound-artists, and
performers of all stripes to submit paper, panel, performance or
installation proposals in one of the three following categories.

1. "Sound and Vision" lecture and panel series - Scholars, artists, and
practitioners working in audio or audio-visual-based new media are
encouraged to submit proposals for IF06. We are interested in a broad
range of audio including: computational, interactive or generative
audio; the creation of digital audio tools; synchronization between
sound and visuals; performative art that explores language, voice and
body; streaming radio and mobile sound works. Presentations should be,
in part, demonstrative. We recognize that sound art is evolving and
that categories have become increasingly irrelevant - we encourage
proposals that push the boundaries of the traditional conference paper.

2. "Earshot" performance series - "Earshot" is seeking experimental
audio-based performances that challenge assumptions about audio forms
and performance conventions. Avant-garde, post-avant-garde, techno,
electro-acoustic, synaesthetic production, liminal art and hybrid
performance are all within our desired range. "Earshot" is primarily
interested in new types of electronic audio-visual performance as well
as models for audience participation in sound works. "Earshot" will run
performances at Open Space for each night of IF06.

3. "Tangible Frequencies" installations - We are interested in audio
installation works that consider site, space, vision, volume and
perception and how physical location 'matters' to the reception of
audio frequencies. IF06 has identified areas within Open Space Gallery
to function as controlled locations for sound installations.* We
welcome proposals that respond to the particular characteristics of
these locations through their acknowledgement of private and/or public
space and use. Installations may provide audio continuity to the
existing locations, or respond as intervention and critique.

INTERACTIVE FUTURES is part of the Victoria Independent Film and Video
Festival and applicants are encouraged to check the Festival website
for more information on the broader program.

CONFIRMED SPEAKERS / ARTISTS

* Greg Hermanovic of Derivative software is a visionary
software-engineer involved in the creation of real-time visual tools.
In 2003 he received an Academy Award for the pioneering of modeling in
the film industry with PRISMS and Houdini. Greg coordinated the
realtime animation at SIGGRAPH 98's Interactive Dance Club, and
directed special effects for Michael Snow's Corpus Callosum.
Derivative's Touch software, a